Balance & Pour

 


“I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35



So, my little, grand-princess has been with me most every day for the last few weeks. I’ve enjoyed her sweet silliness and I can say she absolutely loves to sit on the porch with me and watch the red birds, squirrels and a squirmy, little chipmunk we’ve decided to call Buckie. 


She likes “wello” (yellow) flowers and helping Noni water plants. She likes splashing in the birdbath and riding in her “a-gin” (wagon). 


While at Walmart last week, I bought her just the right sized, green, mini-spout so the little diva could water the flowers too. What a delight to have someone to hand down this love of gardening like I received from my own Mamaw. Making memories!




After filling her spout with water for the first time, I handed it her.  She set out to water the flowers, except she had the spout turned the wrong way and watered herself thoroughly instead. After pouring out all the water on the walkway, she splatted her hands in it and giggled with delight. 


Later, after she had learned exactly what was supposed to happen, I captured this seeet picture which found its way directly into my heart. I loved the way she had her little arm extended to the back to help balance herself while pouring water onto the plant. 


I thought about how we must balance our pouring out in life. True, we must water the flowers, but occasionally we must water ourselves too. 


Pouring out continually leaves us with a parched and useless vessel. 


We’re supposed to be vessels which God can pour out of and into other’s lives. Right? We all want to be part of His plan and purpose and He uses each of us in particular ways to help someone else along the way. We’re made like Him, so we should give like He gave, correct? Isn’t that a most wonderful feeling? I absolutely love to give! I’m sure it makes me feel better than the ones receiving my offering.


I get so much joy and satisfaction out of surprising someone with an Amazon box delivery on a random day, or doing a task, or running an errand, or any number of other things we do to give. I’ve sent all kinds of things that way...a little “giving”, a little love in a box or deed. I’ve been known to do some pretty silly things in the name of giving and loving on people. It sets my heart on fire. It’s really good therapy for the hum-drums too, give it a try sometimes and see what I’m talking about. 


I’m smart enough to know, however, that I cannot continue to keep giving out without taking some in. Although my grand princess’s spout matches mine, it’s quite a bit smaller in reality. Just the same, each of us are a little different and pour out in different quantities. I’ve learned from experience, that if I keep giving and doing for others without filling myself up, that I’ll become tired, depleted, and eventually completely parched. Do I find myself over doing it at times? Yes!! Guilty as charged. Work in progress. 


We must stay filled up in order to give out effectively.  We must have proper balance. 


This is what this sweet picture spoke to me. Balance. No matter how much I love to give, I must allow myself to receive to fill up too. Some say self-care is selfish, but it’s necessary. Even Jesus gave out then took a moment or two to regroup and take care of Himself before giving out again. It must be give and take; both a pouring out and taking in. 


So today, just a gentle reminder to us all. I said this picture should be put in a magazine...it’s perfect to me. Yes, I may be a bit partial, but that’s okay. Although it may never make it into publication of that type, it will always remind me, and now I hope you too, this simple message. Give giving a try! Also, take time between to be sure your own tank is filled up too. Balance and pour. 


Comments