Lessons Learned from an Unwanted Gift

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  

2 Corinthians 12:9



A beautiful morning to be porching with a warm cup of Bengal Spice; so I thought I’d take advantage of the cooler, sixty-six degree moment to sit and share with you. 


I’ve already allowed the Lord to feed my soul this morning and I’ve taken care of feeding the deer and birds. Oh, and my grand girl too. Now, all is quiet and I only hear the chirping of birds and crickets and an occasional squawking from those fat, pesky squirrels which I enjoy watching - as long as they’re not in my bird feeders that is. Then, there is the sound of an occasional vehicle passing by. 


Peace. I’m so thankful for mornings like these. I find myself basking in the goodness and creativity of God - and to know He made me in His image. I wonder, after creating the world, how He felt when He declared it all good and took a day of rest? Somehow, I see Him taking pleasure and enjoying it just like I am, except all was perfect on that day. 


I’d say everything is pretty perfect for me today for the most part. I have a roof over my head, I awoke with strength in my body and in my right mind, I have transportation, food and clothing, I have family and friends...and last but definitely NOT least, I have a loving God above it all. 


Sounds pretty positive, huh? Even amazing! All is well. Yet, I know every day is not as lovely to me as today is. Some days the only thing I’m positive about is that the holes in my heart are seeping and it somehow finds its way to my eyes and runs down my face. Positive? Yeah, I’ve had to learn a whole new way of being positive. 


You know, sometimes things just don’t happen like we expect them to and it’s necessary to learn a new way to be positive and at peace. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not simple or easy. I think of Paul and how he said he had learned to be content in all things. My friend, I can almost assure you that he didn’t learn it overnight and with ease. Sometimes I think the people in the Bible just had it all together and I fail to realize that just because they’re in the Bible that they’re not to be compared to super heroes. They were normal, just like you and me. 


Paul was a well-experienced man when it came to troubles. In 2 Corinthians 11, he tells us, “Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.” 


Talk about a list! Mine doesn’t quite compare, maybe I should never complain at all.  I guess we do fall into that trap though, don’t we? I’m so thankful the Lord is long- suffering and has an abundant supply of grace and mercy, what about you?


In the next chapter, number 12, Paul also talks about a “thorn in his flesh” and how he asked the Lord to take it away but God said no. Paul pretty much said that this condition kept him humble and reliant upon God. Which is a good thing, right? He referred to his condition as a gift. Wow! Mic drop!


I’ve been on the wheel as God is patiently and consistently restoring my heart piece by piece, and somehow I’m learning to be okay with the thorn in my flesh - dealing with grief and the emotions that come with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not okay with losing my son, but I’m learning that that part of my life is a blessing in that it keeps me very humble and reliant on the Lord. 


You see, some days I seem to have it all together like today. Yet, other days I’m a complete and total mess. It’s pretty ugly sometimes! I can make a mess of things rather quickly; but God. 


These are things I’m “positive” about though:

  • God is with me
  • God is never surprised, not even by sudden death
  • God is helping me through each and every day
  • God holds me close when I hurt
  • God works all things together for our good


How? For the good, you might ask? 


My friend, I can testify that our loss has pushed me closer to the Lord, it’s given me more compassion and empathy for others, and it continues to keep me relying on the Lord’s strength as I admit on those “bad” days that I’m not so okay. Above all, I know without a doubt that God is overseeing my restoration. That is my hope. My positive! Things I have gained that I wouldn’t have otherwise. This. Is. Good. 


Again, just like Paul, it won’t happen overnight, but God will make everything beautiful “in his time”, just keep giving Him the reigns. He is ever faithful! 


My porch time is almost over now, and I know this has been lengthy (thanks for sticking around til the end), but I hope as I’ve shared this that you’ve thought of something in your own life - an unwanted gift. Maybe this can help shift your perspective about the hard things in your life, the stuff you wish you could erase from your story. God can make it positive IF we will continue to search for it as we draw closer to and with Him. Lean in close and hear His gentle assurance, “I am with you always.”


Be encouraged!



If this has touched you, please share it with someone and help me grow my blog community. I’m not really one who is good at self promoting, but a book is in the making and I want to share my story. Growing this blog will help me get the word out. You, my readers, are a blessing to me. Thank you for stopping by my porch. Please feel free to leave a comment. 




Comments