Becoming That



“But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”  2 Corinthians 3:18


I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and soul searching lately. Sometimes life piles up and we must stop what we’re doing and evaluate. It’s kind of like those inventory companies you see in a store, painstakingly counting every item and logging it down. That’s what we need to do sometimes in our own lives. 


Stuff accumulates, we pick up baggage unknowingly, things get lost in the daily bustle, and we can get off track and wonder how in the world this happened or how we got “here”. 


Tension rises. Misunderstandings develop. Our hearts lock down and we build walls. We all get hurt and must decide what to do with it. We’re none exempt from life and a little inspection and quality control is sometimes necessary, as well as good for the heart and soul. 


I like to say we are all becoming. I’m reminded of an old song with the message 


I’m not what I want to be but thank God I’m not what I used to be. 


We’re all becoming each and every day! That’s what our purpose on this earth is. The greatest commandment Jesus left us is to love the Lord with all our heart, mind and soul. And, the follow-up was to love our neighbor as ourselves. Those two things don’t just happen, it is a daily journey which lasts a lifetime. 


Becoming means we’re not quite there yet, but we’re doing our part and allowing God to do His. I cannot help but think of the life cycle of a butterfly when I think of this topic. All the stages it must go through, the wait and the work it must exert before it spreads its beautiful wings to fly. It’s a miracle. 


The things we go through each day are quietly adding to or taking away from us. We either allow God to work through them to make us better or we buck against His will. Sometimes the lessons and tests come to us easily and sometime they cause us much pain and struggle. No matter how they come, if we can stop and realize that God works all things together for our good and that He is vested in making something beautiful out of and within us, we’ll be able to look at every situation as a blessing. 


We’re becoming. 


It’s easy to get offended, to pick up a bad attitude, or be negative and critical. Let’s face it, sometimes we don’t even recognize it! Sometimes we don’t like the way our lessons are taught to us. I suppose that’s part of what makes us remember them though. What a difference it makes when you realize God is in control of your becoming and understand that He uses different methods and people for our testing. We have to stop and take inventory of our reactions, our motives, any sin, etc. 


One beautiful thing I love about the Lord being in charge of my becoming is that He meets me right where I am and doesn’t scold me for what I’m not yet; He simply continues His work. Meticulously, methodically and purposefully. 


The truth is, His way might hurt a little (or a whole lot), but I can rest in His plan as He molds me in each trial. I can trust His work. He knows how to bring out the best in me and the ways of which work best for me because I’m uniquely made by Him. 


Yes, we’re all becoming. We shouldn’t be ashamed of what it takes to get there, the things we have to clean out and uncover in the process, nor the time it takes us to get there. 


Jesus met the woman at the well in Samaria and he was gentle with her, spoke kindly and made her feel comfortable enough to speak to Him on a personal level. That’s just how He operates. He does all things well. I personally think she would’ve responded differently if He’d approached her in any another manner. My only basis on this is that I know how I personally respond to different approaches. Some make me want to open up and some make me want to slam the door closed quickly. We all respond differently, but He knows all about us. 


I know we’re NOT Jesus, but we’re all striving to be more like Him every day. We’re becoming! We are all in need of more grace and mercy than we can imagine too. So, take inventory today. Let’s get rid of those things which will make the job harder for Him — and on ourselves. Let’s put away pride, selfishness, and our own desires and give way to what He wants for us. He ALWAYS wants what’s best for you us and will always handle us with care. 


I can’t wait to see what I become. I can’t wait to see what you become either. Let’s become together as we cheer each other on to victory. Be blessed~


“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.” 1 John 3:2-3


One last verse to share:


“The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.”

‭‭Zephaniah‬ ‭3:17‬ 



Comments