Songs & A Tomato

 



Whenever we’re gardening and a tomato,  or whatever fruit or vegetable it may be, doesn’t look quite right or has damage, we often take it off the plant and dispose of it. 


As I was looking at this picture  today, I realized the song God’s Not Done With You was playing.  Right after that came another that caught my attention, Unfinished. It was also about God not being done with us.  He has started something good and is working on making us a masterpiece. 


The timing of all this was kind of amazing to me. Tears suddenly welled up in my eyes and my heart was filled to overflowing with hope and gratitude. What a Redeemer!


Sometimes we might have moments when we feel like that discarded tomato. It could be for many different reasons, life provides plenty of opportunities for these feelings. Maybe we aren’t producing properly, responding appropriately or fast enough. Perhaps we feel like we have failed the tests yet again and have been hopelessly thrown back into the dirt to decompose into nothingness. Let’s face it, we all have things about ourselves we’d like to change. After all, there are real reasons we sing Make Me More Like You, I Want To Be More Like You Jesus, and To Be Like Jesus. 


We are often our worst critics, and there are things in all of us which bring us humbly to our knees if we’re truly honest with ourselves - and God. We must ask Him to put us on His wheel and remake us into the vessel He longs for us to be time and time again. 


I will be the first to admit that I am full of quirks, hang ups and flaws. Some are just because of my personality and some are related to scars. I am not so “Christian” that I don’t slip up and commit sin of which I have to repent and ask forgiveness for either. 


We aren’t just thrown away though, there is purpose for us in spite of our failings. 


That is good news for us all! 


Some days I slowly crawl, beaten down and ashamed, back onto God’s wheel and ask Him to do a new work in me. The reality is I am undeserving - unworthy, yet He doesn’t look down at the mess I am and think any less of me. What an amazing God! No matter what, He takes me into His loving hands and begins His work anew. How wonderful it is to know He never gives up on me and that nothing can separate me from His love. 


We are blessed, even when we find ourselves feeling facedown in the dirt. I was reading today in 2 Corinthians, chapter 4: 


But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;”


So, I just wanted to encourage us all to keep fighting, to continue giving God our all, and to keep staying on His wheel as He makes us what we’re supposed to be. We are indeed earthly vessels of clay but we’re not hopeless, even face down with mud on our face. 


Remember, God is doing a work - making us a masterpiece. One day, when we see Him face to face, it will be worth it all, but for right now we are unfinished and God’s not done yet. 


Just a little thought from songs and a little tomato - such perfect timing. Thank you, Lord. 

Comments