Grab a Cup - the Sun's Coming Up

"...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."  Ps. 30:5

So, if you've read any of my posts from December,  you will have read about the JOYING game. I have struggled with the word JOY for a long time. Yes, I've beat myself up on quite a few occasions for not displaying it readily. I've contemplated on why the Lord didn't install a triple-dose-JOY-button on my melancholic personality somewhere. You know, like they do the extra "pumps" at your favorite coffee house? I'll take a triple dose, three times a day, please! I know, that might sound comical to some, ridiculous to others and still others will have their own personal views of joy. That's OK.

I went through the Christmas season sharing JOY pics with a friend. Why? Simply because I knew I needed to be reminded to find some - to consistently look for it - throughout the season. And, I thought it might be a nice reminder for her as well. Yet...much to my dismay, I still found myself floundering about grieving and in a pit of despair on more days than not. Yes, I can sympathize with those who find it difficult during this time of the year. Anyhow, I won't get side-tracked riding that rail right now. 

By the time Christmas was over, I found myself the happy new owner of three wonderful JOY cups...and a new perspective. Now, as you can tell by the picture above, each one is quite different. Different sizes, colors, depths, textures, and so forth.

Hmmm...maybe that's a reminder for me that joy comes in all shapes and sizes. After all, does JOY look the same on everyone? Why, maybe joy can even be a mixture of feelings too. You see, this morning when I woke up, my heart was light, I felt good in my body and mind, I was able to get out of bed and start organizing for a special project. At this time last week, I was having a difficult time even pulling myself out of bed. Would I realize this was a great morning if I hadn't been so down during the passing days? Maybe all these emotions go hand-in-hand.

True. Some days my joy might be a bit more obscured, but it isn't dormant. It might look a bit different, sort of like my cup collection. And, sometimes I allow it to be covered up with frustration, misunderstandings, and the busyness and stress of life. I've got to watch that! Yes, sometimes I might have to dig deep, like I'm mining for oil...but it's there...somewhere. Yes, it's a promise. For while we may go through times of weeping...JOY comes in the morning.

So, I've decided to spend 2016 learning more about JOY. I've chosen it as my Life word. I've ask God and intend to allow Him to work on me and open my understanding. I want to be a better person by the end of this new year because God has worked on me in this particular area. What about you? 

Now, if you seem to be in a dark night right about now, hold on, morning's coming. This too, shall pass, my dear friend says. Let's join around the table and share our own cups of joy...grab a seat (even if you're still in your jammies)...we're in this together and the sun's coming up.

Comments