I’m Almost There!



Off we went, down the dirt path which lay ahead of us. Nothing but nature surrounded us. No cars. No businesses. No people either at that point. We began our hike under a canopy of green leaves with only the sound of our footsteps and the occasional whistle of a bird here and there. 


We had walked a little ways along, downhill mostly I might add, when we saw an elderly couple walking the path toward us. 


Oh, there’s an important factor which I forgot to share with you. This hike was a mile and a half in and then back out. No big deal, right? Yet, it was also labeled “strenuous” on the information sign at the head of the path. Only us. 



So, back to the couple walking our way. I looked at them, then to my husband and said, “Whatever!” You see, in my mind I was thinking if they can make it, this will be a piece of cake for us. 


We continued on. All was well. We crossed a cold, bubbling stream by stepping strategically across some foot-sized rocks, made our way over some thick roots, and through some sloshy mud too. What an adventure we were having in the mountains.  



Then, along the way,  I began to breathe a little heavier, beads of sweat began to erupt from my pores, and my heart began to pound as we began our incline up the trail. Yeah, I thought to myself, this isn’t supposed to be a walk, this is a hike; it’s to be expected that it will be difficult. I got this. 


I began to think about the elderly couple. Surely they hadn’t come this far! 


The further we went, I had to stop more often so I could catch my breath and regroup. A little further and I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest. My breathing was too shallow, but I was doing my best to breathe correctly.


I’m almost there!!!


Along the path, we had met another couple and had talked with them while taking a breather. The elderly couple we’d seen earlier? We were able to tell this sweet couple that their friends had made it safely back. Come to find out, she had a bad hip and they had had to turn around. The other couple had continued on. 



We continued on for a ways. Then, I had to stop again. I thought I was going to melt down the side of the mountain. Then, about 200 yards away, with roots and a steep incline ahead, I began to get dizzy and nauseous. My dear hubby offered for us to turn around, but I decided I had come too far for that. I came to see the falls at the end of the trail! I was determined. He stayed right with me, watching over me and being sure I was alright. Yes, I have a good husband! And, for the record, I didn’t melt down the mountain.


I’m almost there!


I sat there for quite a while trying to pull myself together enough to continue on. People passed us by coming and going. The ones returning from the falls would tell us, “You’re almost there. It’s worth it!”


I’m almost there!


Indeed it was worth it, I finally made it to the top and the falls were absolutely breath taking. Again, God’s handiwork is amazing. I was so glad I’d determined to make it to the finish line. 


You might know where I’m going with this, but my thoughts turn to this spiritual walk. 


Sometimes I have to regroup and take a rest before continuing on, but that’s alright. There will be people who pass me up, but the race isn’t given to the swift but those who endure til the end. There will even be times when I might think I want to give up and turn around, but if I keep my eyes on the finish line and my mind on the goal, I will keep on keeping on. 



We all experience this type of stuff, don’t we? This walk isn’t for the faint of heart. STRENUOUS! It’s going to take all we can muster up of our own strength and also relying on God’s power too, but we got this. We may look at others like I did the elderly couple and those who passed us by, but we truly don’t know what they’ve been through to get this far. We all get tired and weary at times. We all need a breather at one point or another, don’t we? We all get discouraged and experience times when we need refreshing. But...Heaven is just around the corner. And, just like my sweet hubby, God is there overseeing every moment of our walk. 


I’m almost there! And so are you. 


Let’s encourage one another to make it to the end and hear our Savior say well done, enter in. 




Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.” 

                                    2 Timothy 4:8

Comments