Ruts, Detours & Deep Holes




The picture of this little guy touched my heart, brought tears to my eyes, and a little joy to my heart too. What a hope to know we can find our way back to the top with God’s help and in His time. Nothing is impossible! 


And we know, all things work together...how many times have I quoted this passage of God’s Word in my lifetime? I cannot begin to count the times; but I’ll be the first to admit, sometimes I quote it without much thoughtfulness. You know how we sometimes quickly use those go-to verses when it seems appropriate enough. 


True story. 


Sometimes I become stuck in a deep, dark hole of my own making. Yeah, it’s true. I do good for a while, then life happens and I begin to spiral and lean toward what has become my “go to.” I’m sure you’ve heard the concept about ruts being made in our brains, which then become the roads well traveled. The easy way. Yeah, we’ll, I’m not the best new-road builder and often need help getting out of “the stuck” - the deep ruts I’m accustomed to traveling in. 


Anyhow, I had to be rescued from an all too familiar rut recently. I was digging in a little deeper and deeper with each passing day. (Just being honest in hopes of giving someone else hope of getting out.) The crazy thing is, I didn’t really want to be there, I just got there without thinking about it. Everything just began to spiral out of my control until I felt impossible. 


There’s a danger in going through life haphazardly - we can quickly end up in “the stuck.”


Think about it this way, and be honest, how many of our thoughts throughout the day are positive ones? Even though Paul tells us to think on certain things, our brain seems wired or determined to do the exact opposite, doesn’t it? Again, I ask why? All I can come up with so far is that we are imperfect humanity living in a fallen world, and striving for Heaven. That’s good enough for me. 


Whenever someone gets sick, don’t we automatically wonder if they’ll end up in the hospital or worse? If they are diagnosed with cancer, will they beat it or experience the alternative? When we run short on finances, do we think about God providing without consciously guiding our unruly thoughts in that direction? I could go on and on, but do you get what I’m saying? We remember much more of the bad in life than we do the good, don’t we? Or maybe I’m out here on my own. 


With some help, I realized exactly what was happening and how I had unconsciously responded to my dilemma. Same old rut! That’s disheartening to be reminded yet again that I’ve failed. I was a bit embarrassed and ashamed, cause that’s what the enemy does. He wants us to believe - we’re hopeless failures. Impossible. Worthless. 


However, in the middle of the process, God opened my eyes to some things I hadn’t previously been aware of - because that’s what He does for us. So, we shouldn’t be disheartened by our weaknesses and failures; we would do better to see them as opportunities. Even Paul struggled and had a thorn in his flesh, but He allowed God to use it. 


It takes failure and weakness in order to see growth and strength unveiled. God takes our “mess ups” and works through them...for our good. 


Sure, there are easy paths (ruts) to follow in; after all, I’ve been making these ruts for years. On the other hand, God showed me that even though I had messed up (my words, not His), that He had a plan and is in the process of turning my weak moments into something useful and good to help me grow. He specializes in turning out ALL things for our best interest! He doesn’t condemn us, He seeks to make us better. 


My mind and heart were stirred and I was reminded of a phrase that’s been ongoing in my life for a few months now, “If you’ll let Him, He will...” 


God desires to work ALL things together for the good, but we have to allow Him to. 


It’s going to take a lot of work to build a new and improved road (rut). I was thinking about detours when roads are being built and bridges are being repaired. It’s inconvenient and awkward. It looks a lot like a chaotic mess and sometimes takes years to accomplish. Right?


It won’t be easy; after all easy doesn’t produce champions nor life changes.


So, I’m not expecting an easy task; it’s hard work, BUT it is doable with God’s help. Not my willpower, but God’s supernatural power. I must choose to take one moment at a time and when I fail, I should extend grace to myself instead of trying to whip myself into shape. That is a weakness of mine, but it just makes for a deeper downward-spiral and struggle. Learning. 


God wants to help us grow but if we never mess up, we’d never grow into all He has for us nor allow Him the opportunity to work things together for our good. So, messing up and being weak isn’t an out or a good excuse, but it is an opportunity for Him to perfect His desires for us. 


All things are possible with Him.  It takes more than just quoting, gotta believe and act on it. So, here I go again. Round #1,689 - ding, ding. 


If you find yourself in a hole or rut, I encourage you to join me on a road rebuilding adventure. The beautiful thing is we don’t have to make it happen, we just allow Him to keep working within us, and keep walking with Him. Some of our ruts have been formed from years of life events, choices and responses. What peace and rest in knowing “if we’ll let Him, He will.” 


Be blessed and encouraged today, He sees right where we are and He is not discouraged but rather excited about our purpose being fulfilled and us becoming more. Let’s not allow a rut to hold us captive. Go and grow. 


I leave you with the words to an old song I’m reminded of. It’s an old song I loved to sing in my youth: I’ll be up again, just you wait and see, rough times won’t get me down, they’ll just send me to my knees. And there while I’m in prayer, God will give the victory song. I’ll be up again where I belong. Amen!!! You can be too. 


Comments