News flash! King of the Hill

 

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” Isaiah 41:10


I know we’re grown ups now, but do you recall the game most of us played as children, King of the Hill? You know, it’s the one where someone stands on top and others try to knock them down and take their place as king. Remember? 


I have breaking news in case you missed it...are you ready? Here goes:  we still play King of the Hill as adults quite often. 


True, we’re not standing on a hill somewhere outdoors shouting that we’re the champion; however, we sometimes think we’ve conquered a situation or our reactions only to be knocked off our proverbial mountain. 


I spend a lot of time writing and sharing what the Lord has given me, then sharing it here on this blog. As much as I’d like to say that I’ve conquered every single concept, or even half of them...here’s yet another news flash for you: I HAVE NOT!


I’m attempting to “get it right” just like you are. One day at a time. One opportunity to respond correctly at a time. One mistake followed by a chance for a comeback. One fall after another, but always rising to get back up again. You too?


Of course, we want to stand on top of that hill. We want to get it right. - every time and sooner than later too. Succeed. Pass the test. Be victorious! We don’t want to be knocked off the hill!


I thought of this game when my friend sent this picture to me. King of the Hill. That bear looks pretty in control and comfy up there, doesn’t he? Doesn’t look like he’s even worried or concerned in the least bit that something might be try to take him out. I sighed as I thought about how that might feel in my own life. What if we didn’t have any enemies or obstacles? 


My heart pounded a little harder when I processed yet another picture within the recesses of my mind. Another King, another hill. 


Jesus. Golgotha. 


He took that hill for me and you! For our sins, failures - and comebacks. 


Because of Him, because He is King, we can be weak and still be strong. We may fall off our mountain but that doesn’t mean we’re not losers. You do know that, don’t you? Not by our own might or power, but through His. 


I may stumble after learning a concept; you see, sometimes I’m a slow learner. Sometimes I have to go back through this blog and be reminded of lessons I’ve been introduced to before. I have to remind myself that I’m a work in progress, that learning is a process, and we don’t master all the lessons immediately. Another news flash - nor are we expected to by our Savior. 


We go to twelve years of school to attain a diploma, don’t we? 


Why would we think learning to live victorious spiritually would come in an instant? 


Yes, I have to remind myself of that too. What about you?   I want to be like that bear one day. 


Until then...I turn to my King of the Hill. He has already won all the battles and He wants to see me and you standing victoriously on a hill too. We can all be winners when we’re on His side, because He has already won the battle and we are His. News flash!! Our enemy is ALREADY defeated. 


Let’s keep climbing and getting back up again and again. Jesus fell on His way up the hill too - God manifested in flesh needed help. Someone else had to help carry His cross. WHY? Here’s a final news flash for you: because He is our example! 


I leave you with that today...press on. The King of the Hill is fighting for us! Be encouraged and blessed ~




Comments