Joy In a Box, Delivery on Time

 


“The joy of the Lord is your strength.” Neh. 8:10


Sometimes the darkness is overwhelming and seems like it will never be daybreak, doesn’t it?


I recall going hunting with my dear hubby. I must tell you that he likes to get in the woods at “pre-dawn thirty” - by that I mean a couple of hours before daybreak. On the other hand, 30-45 minutes before daybreak seems just perfectly timed and fine to me. 


Perhaps I’m not correct in my thinking and I’m completely fine with admitting that, but on occasion it has felt like the darkness which enveloped us would never lift. It’s eerie to hear coyotes screeching in the darkness, not being able to see your hand in front of your face, and just the whole idea of waiting. It seems like an unproductive waste of time to sit there any longer than necessary. Again, my opinion. I guess this may disqualify me from having avid hunting blood running through my veins, doesn’t it? I’m completely okay with that. 


However, when the darkness begins to fade away, the warmth and welcoming glow of the sun is so lovely and much appreciated. My hubby often says he enjoys the woods coming to life. I certainly get that!


Most mornings begin with a soft, beautiful sunrise which makes everything it touches seem to be wrapped up in a soft pinkish-orange hug. Then, the birds begin to chirp and flutter about as they begin their day. We often here the raspy cock-a-doodle of a rooster as it crows somewhere nearby. 


Everything changes with the morning as we welcome another day - even us. 


I don’t know about you, but I’ve experienced nights I thought would never end. Whether it be with sickness in my body or someone in our family, or waiting on teenagers to make it safely home or to their destination, or maybe just a sudden storm provided by Mother Nature. They always seem to be never ending under the cover of darkness. 


I cannot count the number of times that I’ve muttered to myself, “If I can just make it to daybreak...” and held my breath in anticipation. Can you recall such an instance in your own life? The darkness can be lonely, frustrating, and just downright scary at times. The waiting seems unbearable. 


Then morning comes. A chance for a brand, new start. A fresh day bathed in light, in which we can think more clearly, walk forward boldly, and see things from a different perspective. Isn’t morning lovely!? Even if you’re like me and not a morning person, morning can still be delightful in our eyes. 


Morning brings with it joy. Not the happy, giddy, giggling type of joy necessarily; it brings about joy in the form of hope and promise. The joy that we have because we have a God with an impeccable resume. You know, kind of like:  I’ve made it through the night, now I know I can make it through the day! God is with me. The joy of the Lord is my strength.  


My friend, no matter the darkness of your night, no matter the storms which threaten to take you out, or the fear and uncertainty which may grip your heart, hang on. It’s not over. Sometimes we go through night seasons which last even longer than just an 8-10 hour span of darkness. Again, let me encourage you to hold on. The darkness cannot last for ever! 


Hang on. Press on. Lean on. God.


As we begin our day, let’s take a moment to grab a cuppa and thank God for another day, knowing He is on our side and giving us strength to make it another mile. 


Without Him I can do nothing, but by His strength I can do anything. 


Hang on knowing that joy isn’t actually what we may be feeling during the darkness, but rather the result left behind because we held on and trusted that God is in control and by our side all the while. He saw us through! Joy is knowing when morning comes, we’ll still be standing here, with Him by our side. What a consolation.


It’s kind of like waiting on that package from Amazon to arrive. You know for sure that it’s shipped, you have a tracking number, it even says the package is out for delivery.  Keep watching and waiting - even through the night - we have a promised delivery - joy in the morning. For sake of remembering this more vividly, let’s think about Joy in a Box. It’s on the way, keep watching and waiting...even through the night...delivery set for in the morning. Right on time. 


Be encouraged and blessed today~


Comments

  1. I love this. I've been right there in the dawn of the morning and the darkness. I really can't wait until the light comes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

As always, feel free to leave a comment. It's all about us joining together to encourage one another.