Daily “Bread”

 


“Give us this day, our daily bread.”   Matthew 6:11


We’ve probably all quoted it, maybe even uttered something pertaining to it in our prayer rituals over a meal. It’s popular. Used often. 


Which is why it screamed at me one day during prayer time. 


I’ve always looked at it as God supplying my daily needs. Food, water, provision, etc. However, I’ve been desiring more in different areas lately. You know as well as I, there is more to life than nutritional substance. I think I recall a verse mentioning something about us not being able to live by bread alone anyhow. And so, what else do I need God, my Provider, to bless me with today? Who wouldn’t want a “special order” cooked up by our Lord and thrown right smack into the middle of our days?!


What does God need to drop into your day so we can get through it, shall we say, victoriously. Because you know there are some days we will feel we’re not winning. I realize too, that we must be thankful and content with where we are in life, but we don’t have to be stuck there. That’s not God’s intention either. We’re supposed to be living abundantly. 


Yes, I know we need the basics. Food, shelter, clothing. Maybe even a running vehicle and a little extra money after bills are paid too. But, is that all He can and will provide for us? After all, He’s so much bigger than we can imagine. 


I recall sitting at a booth in a Mexican restaurant a few weeks ago, a conference in Florida, and in a Subway last week. Sure, it was the physical food - a sandwich or combination #3 with rice and beans - but those meals weren’t supplying the thing I so desperately desired and felt like I’d die without. (Yeah, I know it’s drastic!) No, the food wasn’t anything spectacular; it was the smiling face of the precious person(s) sitting on the other side of the booth that I needed so much. 


In this season of life, I’ve been keeping my Grand-Diva. She’s almost two and keeps me on my toes. It’s usually just her and I during the days until my hubby comes home from work. We are either “playing” at home or running around keeping up with life. That’s a little different for me. As much as I enjoy her company, sometimes I long for more. Adult interaction you might call it. Yeah, the empty nest thing sometimes still gets the best of me some days. I also need more than baby talk on some days. I hope that doesn’t make me sound like a bad Noni! Mind you, I’m NOT one for being around people all the time, but sometimes this girl needs a good ole fill-up! 


This is just one example of God supplying a need in my day. It gave me strength and added a little extra sprinkling of joy too. Even grandma’s like sprinkles on top occasionally, right? It could be something a little different every day. Aren’t we glad God takes time to know us like that? And cares?! What about you? What is it that you cannot go days, weeks, and months without? What is it that has you feeling a little more needy lately?

So, I packed us up and unloaded us at the restaurants. It’s a lot of work hauling all the things that come along with babysitting...as well as my own things; but we did it. Excitedly! There were also many interruptions during our adult conversations at each meal and a little messy too, yet I left each lunch filled - filled to the brim and satisfied with so much more than the food I’d digested. 


Thank you, Lord!


My heart was grateful that God saw I was in need of something more, and provided. True, it wasn’t actually food but it was certainly necessary for my life! In fact, I cried on my way home and humbly thanked God for providing something I needed so desperately. (Oh, and you should hear that little diva pray with me!)


It sounds so simple. And. It. Is. 


Now, these days I pray for God to bless me with the daily bread I need. He knows if I need food or the company more, if I need time alone or if I am starving for fellowship. He knows if you need a special moment in your day too, a simple word of encouragement, or just an extra laugh in your day. Yes, we might have to put up with a few distractions too and it might normally be less-than-ideal, but it only helped me appreciate the moment a little bit deeper. 


And, my outlook has kind of shifted too since He showed me this. I wonder what God will see fit to bring into my life each day. What does He think I need most? Will we be on the same page? What will He surprise me with today that I hadn’t penned into my calendar already? Sure, you and I know what we think we need, but He knows us so much better than that...and will provide if we’ll ask and wait. 


Some things we cannot provide for ourselves; they must be God-supplied. 


Does this mean I (or you) will never feel needy again? Does this mean we’ll never be lonely? Does this mean we’ll never be frustrated? That there will be no more “bad” days? No, my friend, that’s just life in a fallen world - we’re not in Eden anymore where all is perfect. 


Here’s the truth though:  God will supply our deepest needs, our daily “bread.” What is it that you’re in need of today? Nothing is impossible for Him!

Comments