When God Unfolds...You & I




“But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.“ Matthew 19:26


We’ve probably all heard the analogy of God unfolding a rose, right? How it’s something we cannot do; only God can get it right. If we try to take matters into our own hands, we will make a mess and destroy it. Ever tried it?!


We purchased two new rose bushes this spring and planted them in our front flower garden. We were initially shocked at the way they just took off growing so quickly. Before we knew it, the first bloom appeared.  


I was excited to see what it would look like. What color it would be. How big it would get. You know, every rose is as unique as we are.  I watched daily as the unfolding process continued. 




The transformation was amazing. It was beautiful right from the very start, as a newly erupting bud; then as it unfolded, it seemed to change a bit every day. 

I had to stand in front of it to get a good picture at one point. My shadow allowed for just the right amount of light to catch the bright, pink edges. Over the next couple days, I was even more amazed. 




The transformation of the colors simply baffled me. Not only that, but the bloom became large enough to fill the whole palm of my hand. It was quite different from my other rose bush. I was amazed. 



God is an amazing Creator and artist. His way of doing things is often mysterious and baffles us. The Bible clearly states that He doesn’t think or perform the way we do. In fact, it says His ways are high above ours. 

If He can create such beauty and wonder with a simple rose, what can He do with you and I if we yield to His plan and purpose?  What transformation would we go through, what would we finally appear to be? What fragrant aroma would we give off to the world around us? We are His creation, His masterpiece. 



Again, only God can transform and unfold our lives. If we get ahead, or lag behind, we’ll ruin His plans. How often do we rush to get to the next phase? Or stubbornly refuse to move forward as He leads? How often are we not happy and content with where we find ourselves? How often do we attempt to take God’s job into our own hands and make a mess of things? It’s something to think about, huh?


I’m finding that it’s much simpler to rest in Him, to wait upon Him, and to trust that He knows best. What would take me years to do often times only takes seconds when I give it to Him and allow Him to do His thing. Why do we hold on so tightly and try to control the outcomes of things we simply have no control over?


God has a plan. He has a purpose in every situation. I want to lean into that! I’ve found it’s much better to yield my will to His and watch Him do some pretty amazing stuff. The mysteries of God are beyond my understanding, but enhance my life and testimony for Him. 


I don’t want to be in charge of unfolding my life, or anyone else’s for that matter. I want God’s perfect will and timing...He always gets it right. I can choose to be a horrific mess or a beautiful masterpiece, just by allowing Him to work as He sees fit in my life and putting my agenda to rest. 


Today, I’m saying, “Here I am! Use me.” I choose to rest in knowing He is in charge and can do the impossible in and through me. I know for certain that He can unfold a beautiful rose...me...and you too. 


What blessed assurance is ours! Lean into His way, trust His hand. 

Comments