Bravely Afraid



Photo credit goes to my sweet, CA friend. As always, thanks for sharing with me. 



“What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.” 

Psalm 56:3


There’s something about knowing you’re being watched over and protected that gives a person peace of mind and allows them to be at ease. 


I remember the times, back in my “kid” days, when I’d need to run outside after dark to get something I’d left in the car - life changing moments! 


I’d cautiously open the front door and quietly walk toward the car looking this way and that. Then, I’d stealthily open the car door and get what I needed. 


It was from that point forward that all caution was thrown to the wind and with the forgotten element in hand, I’d slam the car door and run like none of your business back to and through the front door as quickly as my little legs would carry me. I didn’t feel safe out there alone in the darkness of night. 


I’m sure we all could tell similar stories, couldn’t we? 


Guess what though. I find I still have those moments right here in the middle of adulthood. There’s stuff out here that scares me to the point of wanting to turn and run away as fast as a I can. Honesty 101. 


I loved this picture which depicts these little goslings being carefully surrounded and protected. Anything harmful which might come near will most certainly hear a hissing disapproval, and possibly even an attack by their protectors. It’s just as God designed it to be! He is perfect in every way. It’s a good reminder to me that Someone is walking by my side too. 


When I’m scared of life, right here in the messy middle, He is patient and ready to protect me at all costs too. I can rest in that! When I’m hurting or sad, His desire is to hold me close and carry me through to safety. Just like a loving Father,  when He must discipline me, He delivers it with intentionality, mercy, and grace. 


When I want to run away, He keeps me grounded and reminds me who I am and who He is. 


I don’t know about you, but knowing I have a Father like that brings me such peace and rest - IF I’ll pause to remember instead of making a run for “easier”. 


Even IF I am afraid, as this verse clearly and precisely acknowledges, I can rest in His protection.


I feel like a big scaredy-cat at times. The playground of this world has bullies which try to name me something other than who I am. Challenges come my way and threaten me to look at my weaknesses and cave. Tests seem insurmountable on my own and I question God’s plans. However, I’m NOT alone, and neither are you, my friend. 


If you’ve ever been afraid, then I’m sure you can relate to this analogy also. There’s nothing more comforting than pulling a familiar, cozy blanket over your head and shutting yourself out from all the noise and darkness which seems to paralyze. 


I don’t know where you might be today, if you’re feeling frightened by your own issues, but I invite you to join me in being bravely afraid. What does that look like, you might ask? 


We each have our own security blanket, a covering we can take rest and refuge under. Just as these goslings find rest under the wings of those who shelter them, we are also safely sheltered and secure no matter what it looks or feels like. Hidden under the wings of the Almighty! We can be bravely afraid because we are not alone in this world. We can be afraid and yet still trust...I think that’s call courage, isn’t it? 


There’s another verse I’d like to leave us wrapped up in too. 


"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Deuteronomy 31:6


We don’t HAVE to be afraid, BUT WHEN WE ARE, we can trust Him right there in the middle of it all. 


God’s best blessings be upon you today~


Comments