Rough Drafts and Red Pen Moments



“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith...” Hebrews 12:2



If you’ve been around my blog any length of time, you know how much I enjoy writing. I guess one would consider me to be an author. I pick up my pen,  begin with a word or a thought, and then string sentences together. 


That initial finished result is called a rough draft. Next, I begin the editing process...over and over again - poring over it until it’s just right and I’m completely satisfied. 


I know how disheartening it is to get a rough draft returned to me, splattered about wildly with red ink marks. Eek! I can still recall such editing marks, an English teacher’s input, and how I felt about it all during my high school years. Did it make me want to quit? Give up? Sure it did, but because I love to write, each red mark served only to make me better instead.   


Then, my thoughts return to how we talk about God being the Author and Finisher of our faith - our belief, trust, confidence, loyalty and faithfulness. 


As the Author, He has begun our stories with a “measure of faith” which is given freely to every person. (Romans 12:3)  We all start out on the same level, my friend. It’s sort of like a blank piece of paper just sitting there waiting to be used. 


We have all been given the same measure of faith...AND the freedom of choice. 


You see, we are co-authors with Him, choosing daily how our story is written out. Our choices and decisions mark the pathway of our journeys. Consequences of poor choices are often inescapable!


We have the pen! He oversees the process. 


We start out with a measure; then through trials and testing, He will strengthen and grow our faith. He isn’t interested in us remaining the way we started out. He is all in - and is also the Finisher of our faith. The finisher polishes the rough draft into a final result of perfection. The end!


Not all tests and trials are because we’ve done something wrong, although sometimes that is the case. We will ALL face troubling days or seasons. Remember the saying about it raining on the just and unjust alike? Hard times and difficult situations are part of the journey. Will we allow God to perfect us? Edit? Finish? 


He desires to polish us and finish us so we will shine for His glory. 


I don’t know about you but I want to be yielding and allow God to mark up my rough draft. Those red marks which come with daily life will cost us, but will also make us more like Him if we will take the editing process to heart and not rebel. He longs for us to grow, our faith is no exception. Healthy things grow! The Bible even tells us without faith it is impossible to please Him. 


Let’s get this rough draft started and welcome the red pen moments in life. It’s definitely a trust issue, we must be willing to hand Him the pen; but it will be worth it all in the end! Just you wait and see...


Blessings!

Comments