Relationships...Loving Well



Relationships. 


We all have them with most everyone we meet. If we’ve interacted with someone, we’ve formed a relationship. Some may be only surface related such as with people we meet throughout our daily activities. Some are a bit deeper, like those we form with our coworkers, mail delivery and grocery personnel, and those acquaintances we make at our favorite restaurants on a regular basis. Then, there are the relationships we form with the people in our homes and churches. There are intimate relationships we develop with only a certain few. 


Relationships take a lot of work. The closer you consider yourself to the other person, the more effort, attention and sacrifice you will give to it. Our most important relationships don’t become labeled that way without a lot of give and take, trust and vulnerability. Actually, those are the very things which help define our relationships with others. 


The stuff that should scare us away, but makes us stay anyway. 


We’re probably not going to spill our guts to the clerk at the gas station, are we? We’re not going to seek personal counsel from our power company representative. We might seek help from our mechanic about our car troubles, but we wouldn’t ask him about our marital issues, now would we? No, some things are only meant for our deeper, most intimate relationships. 


We share our struggles, hurts and low times with those we are closest to. We can take our “fine” masks off with those we’ve learned to trust and “be me” with. We also share our victories, blessings and excitement with these same people. When something good happens in my life, I want to pick up the phone and let my people know. When tragedy takes place in my life, it’s often those same people who will be a safe place to unload - and the first to know. That type of relationship doesn’t happen without some miles of life together though. 


I’m more of an introvert so the my people list in my life is probably not easy to be on. If you are, then you’ve made your way there because I’ve opened up and allowed you into places which are off limits to others. I’ve most likely learned to trust you through a lot of trial and error, ups and downs, and a lot of life issues shared. Let me say again, really close relationships don’t just happen. We all have our own requirements and values for deciding who is welcomed into our circle. There are usually many factors, but when all the fluff is stripped away the main ingredient usually boils down to love.  


Our closest relationships are with those whom we have learned, or are learning, to love and who love us as well. Which reminds me of a scripture:


“Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.” I Corinthians 13:4-7


These verses have always seemed to me quite difficult to attain. It seems a pretty tall order to “love up to”.  I know my love capacity certainly doesn’t always meet this criteria! I had always had a problem with that...until I realized that there is only One who meets this level of love 100% of the time. God. 


It’s a guideline for me to reach toward. 


While we will probably never perfect this level of love and relationship with others in this lifetime, just as is supposed from the rest of God’s Word, we are to continually strive for that mark. It’s God’s exampled level of perfection and love toward us. He also tells us to love Him with all our hearts and to love our neighbor as ourselves. 


This takes intentionality, hard work, and “over and over again” mentality and choice. It requires forgiveness, patience and fore-bearing with one another. After all, love is the substance formed from close, intimate relationship. 


My mind is on this today and I wanted to use this opportunity to honor and thank those who love me well, and to those who are allowing me to learn to love you well, too. I know, it’s not easy. I sure don’t always get it right, but I’m striving to. It takes a lot of give and take on both our parts, but isn’t it so worth it? I can’t imagine doing life without you nor would I want to. 


Each relationship will teach us much if we will be willing to sacrifice and pay attention. God gives us the gift of each other, relationships, not only to enhance our lives, but to grow us into being more like Him. We are always better together if we’re striving to do our best to love like Him. 


To my people, and acquaintances, I want to love you well. And, to the One who makes it all possible, I want to love you well. Make me more like You. 


Relationships...let’s all work hard and strive to love one another well. Today, let someone you love know how important they are to you - and how dedicated you are to growing in the “loving you well” department. What a wonderful world this would be if we all did our part to love well! 


Just my thoughts for this day. Blessings~













Comments