Sufficiently Too Much?

 


“...So the people were restrained from bringing. For the stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much.” Exodus 36:6-7



More nuggets from my daily Bread:


Reading about the instructions for the making of the Tabernacle and all its instruments for worship and sacrifice is quite intriguing. I try to picture it and put the puzzle pieces all together in my head as I read each segment. Wood overlain with gold, sockets, taches, blue, purple and scarlet material, candlesticks, cherubim, animal skins, ephod, precious stones, etc. 


Many items were needed in order for the tabernacle to be assembled and ready for operation. Particular measurements and distinct design was required. There was the stuff the Israelites brought and then there were skills God instilled in the people to carry out His plan. 


The children of Israel brought offerings every morning and they brought so much that Moses commanded them to stop bringing, because there was more than enough. They had given beyond what was necessary. 


Exodus 35:21 tells us that they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit made willing. 


My mind began to ponder how they must have felt, how I would feel, if I had brought more than enough of my stuff and skills unto the Lord. What would it feel like to be restrained from bringing anything else? 


I thought about my daily walk and worship. Is my heart stirred enough, is my spirit willing to go above and beyond? 


Is my offering excessive or just enough to get by?


I think in my heart, “What does God deserve?”, and I know without a doubt, deep within, that He deserves my everything — and then some. 


My thoughts turn to my grand boy, who seems to have endless energy. He gives his all to every day until he’s absolutely worn slap out. He squeezes every ounce of energy he can into his days. I must admit, he makes me feel a bit old because I realize I cannot possibly keep up with him.  Is what I have to offer him enough? Am I giving him my best Noni version? 


While God doesn’t expect me to throw a football and run like the wind all day, He does expect me to give Him my whole self every day. 


I wonder if there are days when I might short-change Him; and I know, if I’m truly honest, there are. Some days I just feel too tired or have too much on my plate to give myself entirely to the Lord. I’m convicted and challenged. 


I want my first thought in the morning to be the Lord. I want my service to Him to be top priority. I want to bring Him more than enough and to be stirred to use my skills for Him. I want to offer myself to Him whole-heartedly. I’d like to lay my head on my pillow each night knowing I’ve emptied myself out — and that it’s been more than enough. 


You know, I’d rather He tell me I’ve done more than enough, to stop, than to leave a day slacking in what I could’ve given and brought to the table. I cannot compare my offering to others; but what is enough, or more than enough for me?


Just a little thought that challenged me to be better daily. I want to bring an offering, to give unreservedly, in abundance unto the Lord. Because really, how would it feel to know I’d given Him an abundance in this day? What about you? Wanna take this challenge to heart with me? Our all may look different from another’s, but let’s courageously ask ourselves...


Is what I’m giving sufficient, too much? 



Comments