Certain Amidst the Uncertainty

 


“And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new.” Revelation 21:5


Life changes daily. People change at the drop of a hat. Jobs come and go. Vehicles develop a sudden flat. The weather flip flops from one season to another in a matter of days...or hours sometimes. Uncertainty. 


One thing is for sure...what is happening right now and getting all the attention will soon have to give up the spotlight for something else. 


Uncertain but certain! 


It seems to be the flow of life. We have to learn to adjust and rebound. The answers and plans inspired with the morning cuppa will most likely have to be adjusted by lunch time. And, then that batch altered and updated again by the time supper is served. It’s never ending!


What worked today might work tomorrow, but it probably will need to be tweaked. If you’re a tedious planner, and not a last minute, throw it together, spontaneous individual, this can drive you nuts. 


It’s the nature of our world though. Change. Change. And. More. Change. 


Certain of the Uncertainty. 


I think of old advertisements we used to see in the days gone by and remember how the people always had smiles on their faces. Where are those smiles today? We often refer to the “good ole days” when life was slower and simpler. Where a handshake was as good as a written contract, where people were honest and a cold lemonade on a hot day did the trick. I still maintain my belief that some of the old ways are much better. Take me back!!!


The more we have it seems the more we want. The more we have the less care we take of what we do have. The more we get, the less we give. The more time we’re given, the less time we have for what truly matters. Our society is all mixed up!  Everything appears to be a bit backwards in my opinion. Take me back!!!


Somehow I’m not quite satisfied with this life. I long for home. Where it’s safe and secure, the people at my table are honest and available, where front porch talks really make a difference and things are slowed down and moments savored. 


Yeah, I know we’re probably too late for that in the here and now of modern society, but it doesn’t keep my heart from longing for it. Take me back!!!


Then, I remember.


ONE DAY EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE. 


“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” Revelation 21:4


All the things which leave me unsatisfied about the here and now will one day pass away and all will be made new.  Can you imagine?! I know I’m surely not the only one that feels this pull and need for hope. 


Maybe I shouldn’t say “take me back” but instead, look forward to the hope I have in what’s coming just ahead. HEAVEN! He’ll be coming to make all things new, to take us home, where we’ll no longer have to deal with uncertainty, hurt, pain, etc. 


Because this is the hope I (and you) have:


I’m certain, amidst all the uncertainty this world offers, that He’s coming, that isn’t going to change. No worries there! One day, we’ll walk through a much more satisfying place than a front porch and we’ll enjoy much more than a cold glass of lemonade. Certainly!


He is dependable. His promises are without fail. Of that I AM certain! And...that’s really all we need to know, isn’t it? Until then...this is our hope. 


Comments