“Has Been” Revisited

 



“Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.”

“Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.“


My husband and I were in the woods when we happened upon this “tree”. I had to capture the moment because it silently spoke to me...but very loudly I must say. 

This was once a thriving, beautiful tree which probably offered shaded comfort, nutrients to some and a place of rest for others. Strong. Beautiful. Unscathed. 


Then life happened. Seasons came and went. Something along the way caused this tree to lose its vitality and strength. Yet, there it stood, like a statue proudly declaring what had been.  


I thought about how life happens to us all. We all face difficult situations and trials in this lifetime which seem to zap us of our vitality and will to try harder or continue on at times. Our flesh can trip us up and the enemy mocks us in our weaknesses. His main goal is to kill, steal and destroy...to make us a has been. 


As Christians, what we are today, no matter what that may look like, can speak volumes to someone passing by. 


Someone is always watching our response and reaction to life. Someone out there needs us to stand tall even though we’ve lost, in spite of what life has thrown our way, regardless of the cross we’ve been asked to bear. Someone needs us to stand in the middle of the pain and hurt and still declare the goodness of God. Someone needs to know and see that there is a time for everything, that seasons come and go, and that life changes shape and color but we can still praise God. Someone needs to see that no matter what we face, we cannot be moved because we’ve made up our mind to be victorious and God upholds us with His mighty hand. 


Sure, what has been has made us what we are today, but we are God strong. 


Yes, the tree doesn’t look like what it must have in days gone by, but it still has a purpose...and so do we. We’re not hopeless, not finished, not forgotten, and definitely not unseen or unheard. 


We have a purpose right here, right now. We might be silently speaking to someone who is watching us. The most important thing we can say is, “My mind is made up! I’m going on with the Lord.” May we also silently scream at the enemy through our armor as we stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, 


“Give it your best shot, but I’m still going to give it mine too.” 


Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. 

He has made me victorious and more than a conqueror. 

Under His wings will I learn to trust. 

When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock. 

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear. 

He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock and covers me with His wings. 

He orders my steps in His word, and is able to make a way out of no way. 

He has prepared a table for me,He satisfies the longing in my soul and gives me the desire of my heart. 


I could go on and on, and you probably had your own verses pop in your head. These life verses are mottos in our life because of where we have been. Yet, no matter what life throws our way, no matter the mistakes we may make, we still have a story to tell and a testimony to share about a God who works all things together for good. We don’t have to be a has been, but we can triumphantly proclaim that what has been made us into the warrior we are today. 


There’s still time to be redeemed, purpose to be fulfilled and Heaven to gain. There are still people to touch and lives to be salt and light to. We’re not done and washed up, we still have a story to tell: what has been, has indeed made me into who I am today; but I am not a has been, I am still standing tall and becoming because the Lord is on my side. Let’s do this!




Comments