Golden Confetti Moments


 


As I drove home, completely engrossed in a heart piercing, thought provoking podcast, my attention was suddenly drawn to the sky. It was raining down golden leaves! Yes, the gentle, autumn wind sent the bright, golden, confetti shower into motion. It was almost as if time stood still to me as I took it all in. A strange sense of excitement rose within me and I suddenly wanted to stop my vehicle and dance “in the rain.”


Yeah, I know. Kind of odd maybe. That is me. Unique. Artistically inclined. Feeling all the feels...all the time. 


You see, a couple years ago the sight of those golden leaves made my broken heart desperately ache and sad tears to course down my face. If you’ve followed along with my story, you’ll know what I’m talking about. If you’re not familiar, just browse back from September 27, 2017 to now. 


As the leaves rained down like golden confetti today, my heart was filled with gratitude. I can’t tell you all the reasoning behind it, because I’m not sure about it all myself; I only know this: I’m still here, walking this glorious journey with my Lord. All the praise, honor and glory are to Him! 


It’s not golden confetti moments every day, mind you, but I’m learning more and more to be at peace with the moments I need to cry and to rejoice when the urge hits too...and to always praise. It’s taken a while to come to grips with this. 


There are things on this journey that I am still learning, things that take me completely by surprise. One of those things are “firsts”. Today is one of those days for a first. 


Rustin, my inventive middle child, is now my eldest child. When I wished him a Happy Birthday this morning, I was surprised by the sudden tears which filled my eyes. So extremely thankful to celebrate him, and so very sad that I won’t be able to wish his brother the same next month on his birthday. Confetti moments.  


Also, for almost three weeks now, my three children, born 1992, 1995 and 1996, have all been age twenty-four. That was a first also. It was sobering and took me by surprise for a minute as I became accustomed to the fact of the matter. Confetti moments. 


Then, there are other things which catch me completely off guard. For instance, this morning at Walmart. I loaded my cart down and headed to the check-out line, then began placing my items on the belt at the register, and came face to face with a lady who was in desperate need, although I didn’t know it at that moment. 


I asked her how her day was and I was completely surprised when she broke down and burst into tears. My heart felt like it stopped! From behind a mandatory mask, she explained to me the depth of pain she was in. I responded by asking her if I could pray for her. Yeah, it surprised me too! She nodded, as more tears fell, and I reached out to touch her hand and ask God to heal her body. That was a golden confetti moment for me too. 


I haven’t always been moved so deeply. While I have always been a sensitive person, it’s seems even more so now. It’s out of character for me to make a spectacle of myself (a bit of an introvert!) by praying for someone in a store, but I’m slowly becoming more like my Lord. I’ve heard over and over again how He never wastes hurt or pain, and how we can always become a better person from the hardships and suffering we endure in this life. I’m beginning to better understand all that now. Confetti moments. 


Some confetti isn’t golden or even colorful; some confetti is made up of colors we would consider drab or dreadful. I’m learning to accept it all. I recall a scripture about learning to be content in whatever state I find myself in. Since I’ve had all colors of confetti in my life up close and personal, especially these last few years, I am seeing how God can use what we consider even the ugliest confetti to bring Him glory. 


This post is just a little testimony to glorify God and to proclaim what He is doing in my life. Right in the middle of what might seem like ugly confetti moments, I’ve learned if I keep praising Him, the golden confetti moments will surprise me too. They appear more and more often as I learn to look differently at the situations I encounter.


So, today, I’m dancing in golden confetti, thanking and praising the Lord for His love and faithfulness - and for every confetti moment He brings into my life. 


I hope this will encourage you to watch for confetti moments in your own life - golden and otherwise - and that you too will learn to dance a jig and praise the Lord for His love and faithfulness. He does all thing well. 


Comments