Eggs & Butter, Time & Temp

 


It’s getting that time of year again and I’m getting the itch to bake goodies. I saw a picture and recipe a couple weeks ago for what looked like would be a scrumptiously, delicious pound cake complete with a bonus layer of crunchy goodness. 


At the store, I bought the most quality of ingredients I could find. Instead of the “go-to” store brand butter, I purchased Land-O-Lakes. I wanted to give the cake every chance I could to be a complete success. A chance for pure yumminess!


Oh, there was also the issue of bringing the butter and eggs to room temperature before beginning. I’m always really bad about the pre-prepping parts of a recipe. I usually use the microwave to make the process quicker. As we all know though, quicker is not always better.  Quality, not quantity!


There were other particulars that went above and beyond just throwing a box cake together too. The flour needed to be sifted, and added alternately with the liquid the recipe called for. Also, the cake needed to start baking in a cool oven- no pre-heating required. Imagine that! (A great recipe for those of us who might forget to preheat.)


As I began to assemble the ingredients and mix the batter, adding one egg at a time and mixing each in thoroughly for exactly a minute before adding the next, I thought about how important time and temperature are in our own lives. 


There are many factors, choices and responses in our day which either help contribute to our well-being or to which can be a detriment to the process. 


Temperature


When I think of temperature, I automatically think of my spiritual temperature, am I hot or cold? Committed or complacent? The Bible speaks plainly about what God thinks about our temperature, doesn’t it? I also think about the temperature of other relationships. Every relationship has warm and not so warm moments. It’s a natural ebb and flow, but ever so important. 


I also think about temperature in terms of any anger that might be in our lives. When I think of anger, I normally think of hot and heated explosion, although I’ve learned it can also mean cold and aloof as well. Either extreme isn’t conducive to our growth and betterment; we need balance in all things. 


Time


Another factor related to our well-being is good ole time. It is a priceless commodity, isn’t it? We’ve all heard the phrase “good things come to those who wait”, or how about “my time is worth more than that”?


Sometimes our days, or seasons, require a hefty dose of old-fashioned patience which can be quite difficult to come by in the fast paced world we live in. Our microwave society loves “poof” and its done. Instant! Some things just take time! We can’t hurry it along, and God doesn’t work on our timelines anyhow, does He? I distinctly remember a verse in the Bible which talks about waiting on the Lord. Remember that one?


Temperature and time can cost us much in life. From our Christian walk, to other relationships, and even strangers. When we haphazardly ignore important issues, try to control all the issues, or recognize them and decide instead to push them under the rug, so to speak, we’re not going to get the finished product we anticipate. 


We need to treat every issue and person in life as importantly as the ingredients in a recipe. What outcome do we desire? What are we willing to pay? How much are we willing to give? 


It’s not always easy to respond in a kind and gentle-hearted nature. I’ll be the first to admit it! Our anger flares and we may feel cheated, misunderstood or hurt. However, it’s our responsibility to ask God to help us work through our response temperature and timing. Most of the time we probably react instead of responding; I know God is developing this in my own life. It’s hard and deliberate work too. It doesn’t happen by accident!


The Bible says be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. Yes, it’s easier said than done. It takes intentionality. It takes getting out of the way and allowing the eggs and butter to come to room temperature. It means swallowing pride and doing it God’s way - following directions that have proven fail proof. It requires forgiveness practiced over and over again. 


I know we’ll never be perfect this side of Heaven, but He who began a good work in us is faithful to complete it. My job is to follow His lead, to be sure the temperature is on the right setting and the timer is set appropriately. He is responsible for the outcome. 


So, do I want to be a delicious morsel? Do you? The Bible also mentions tasting and seeing that the Lord is good. The world can only do that by perceiving how we handle and respond to situations which come our way.  What are they tasting from my walk and example? A sobering question for sure. 


Ladies, when we begin our autumn baking routine for the holidays, let’s remember as we set out the butter and eggs, that our responses can make or break us. I’m challenging myself to a better baking season, how about you?


*By the way, the pound cake was wonderful in every way; I even shared. 


Lord, I need your help every day. Life can get hectic and quickly out of balance. My response turns into a reaction which usually results in failed attempts. Please help me to be tempered and allow You complete control in every situation, knowing You always know best. I want my life to taste good for my own good, for others to enjoy and, most of all, for Your good pleasure. Amen~

Comments