Who Knew?

 




Today is kind of an emotional day for me. Ok, I’ll be a little more transparent — VERY emotional. 


So, as we all do on occasion, I shared the following post on my Facebook page:


When a simple hug becomes the last touch you’ll ever receive, you start to look at hugs much differently. A single hug that must last forever becomes one that was never quite long or tight enough. 

True story. 


I’m sure there will be all sorts of reactions to and thoughts about my post. In fact, they will probably be as varied as the amount of people who will stop and take a moment to read and ponder the idea. 


For me, today marks the last hug I ever will receive from my firstborn son. Who knew? 


Today would be the day I stood in my sister’s driveway, on an early morning, three years ago. Yes, I remember it so clearly. I was to be traveling back home with my daughter and grand boy, and just before we got on the road, and before my son went off to work, we stood in that driveway saying our goodbyes. Who knew?


I can see his scruffy morning face decorated with a crooked smile, I can feel that hug he always gave me. The one where he wrapped both arms tightly around me, then would mutter something like, “No tears, Mom.”  Somehow my tear-makers never heeded his soft voice and they would flow like fountains anyhow. Guess I got that genetically from my Mamaw. She always cried when our visit ended and we left her house in Kentucky headed back home to Georgia. I get it now!! I cry when my people leave too. Unashamed, but...

Who knew?


One never normally anticipates a hug being their last one. 


We’re normally in the moment people, aren’t we? We give our trademark hug, whatever that may be, and head on about our day. I guess maybe it’s true, we don’t completely realize the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. I sure wasn’t expecting that hug to be my last. Who knew?


If I had known, I would never have let him go. Today, and possibly every one that marks this memory for the rest of my life, I’ll feel this way. Although I didn’t know it that day, it’s a moment I’ll never forget. 


So, yes, I’ve shed a few tears already this morning. My heart has what has become a familiar ache. I’ve said a heartfelt “thank you” to a God who made that hug possible then and now in my memories. Yes, I’m feeling all the emotions and I’m alright with it. 


Hugs have become a “no-no” during this socially distanced pandemic and I just can’t help but think of all the hugs and moments we are missing out on. Sure, there are those people who aren’t huggers and they don’t much care, but for those who are, it’s a real struggle. 


We never know when it will be our last hug. Let’s not hug sloppily and without feeling ever again. Let’s not let a hug be merely a kind gesture. Let’s hug with intentionality. Let it be real. 


An emoji isn’t enough!


Let love seep quietly from one person to another because we never know when it will be the hug which must last forever. Give...something that will be worth remembering forever. Just a thought to share today, because...


Who knew? 


Comments