Who Needs Bubblewrap?

 


My husband and I were talking last night. It was a serious, heartfelt talk concerning issues going on in our lives right now. Right now, things just seem a little overwhelming.  It seems as if everything is bumping into our tenderest spots. The slightest things can cause deep pain during moments like these. 


As my mind started rambling, I suddenly said, “I wish we could be wrapped up in bubble wrap right now, so we could be protected from all the bumps.”


We both laughed and then decided:


We have much more than bubble wrap, we are wrapped in the arms of God. 


Psalm 61:3 says, “For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.”


There are times in life when I get wrapped up in all that’s happening, feeling overwhelmed and carrying more weight than I’m meant to. There are a million-and-one things to be concerned about on any given day, especially in the world we live in today. 


While some people talk to think out a situation, I write. So, last night I started listing everything on my plate which was stressing me out and overwhelming me. After I had listed about six things, I looked the list over and a lightbulb went off and God reminded me... 


 I couldn’t do anything about any of it. 


Yes, out of the list I had jotted down, only ONE thing was there that I couldn’t avoid carrying.  Everything else was added weight I could lay down if I chose to. 


I was reminded of another verse in Psalm that mentions something about what to do when my heart is overwhelmed. I think it says something about turning to the Rock. It dawned on me, 


I don’t need bubble wrap after all , I need The Rock. Period. 


So, I laid my list down, regrouped and shook my head disgustedly at how I’d allowed “all that” to stress me so. The enemy sure is a sly ole fox - and I gave in to his strategy. Ugh! Mental note to be more observant tomorrow. 


In these times, we must be ever so vigilant to discern what is going on and what extra weight we are carrying which could and should be averted to God. He is our Rock! The only One who can take care of any situation or circumstance, and carry those loads we’re not meant to carry. 


So, don’t have a “duh!” moment like I did, stay alert and if you find yourself stressed out...maybe you could make a list like I did. What is there that you have no control of? Besides, wouldn’t we all rather just enjoy popping those little, cushiony bubbles anyhow?


Go to the Rock! 

Comments