Looking Back




And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, 

let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” 

Luke 9:23



This week, my little sister came to be with me for a few days. Whenever she comes to town, we usually always go visit some places from days gone by.

For instance, when she got here, we were sure to make a run by Nu-way Weiners for a hamburger and a hotdog “all the way”. This time around, we also made a tour through the city to see the homes we lived in while growing up.

The first house we lived in when we were young, on the south side of town, now looks so tiny compared to what it did when we were younger. Even the big, red barn Dad built in the back yard, still stands bright and proud, but looks smaller than it used to. Another house we lived in on the other side of town, while we were teenagers, still looked about the same but there were things which had been changed and updated even on it.

Last night, I was thinking about it all...and about where I live now. I thought about how I’m just a pilgrim in this world, just passing through. This world is definitely not my home! And that I have a home being prepared for me in Heaven. That’s just crazy awesomeness!

Sometimes I “go back and visit” places where I used to abide in my walk with God. I can go back to when I lived at an address of heartbreak and struggle, a place of joy, or even breakthrough. I take a trip back to where I used to be and then realize where I am today. I can see that I’ve come a very long way.

God doesn’t allow us to look into the future, except to know that He has prepared a special home for us if we’re sold out to and for Him. He does allow us the ability to look back though. Some days we think we’ll never hold out and hang on until the end of the trying day or season. Then, we clumsily make it into our tomorrow and are able to look back and draw strength from our struggles yesterday – simply because we made it through.

The verse says we should take up our cross daily and follow Him. If we can do this, we’ll definitely be able to take a spiritual drive around to see where we used to live and notice how far we’ve come from there in our spiritual walk. We’ll see where we are now and know that God has been our source of power and our sustaining strength. This will be an encouragement to us and build perseverance within us! It will also produce faith and hope.

So, if you’re wondering today if you can make it until tomorrow, just take a moment and go back to your “younger” days with the Lord. Go back and visit the places when there were struggles, when victories were won. We don’t look the same as we did back then; we’ve grown and matured in the Lord, I’m sure.

Aren’t we thankful we don’t have to stay the same way or continue without growing? Aren’t we delighted to look back and see we’ve survived some pretty rough parts on the “south side” and now we’re living in new territories and maybe even thriving?

Let’s celebrate the old places, and continue to walk into our tomorrows with boldness and assurance that He’ll be there and will see us through those spots too. 

Somebody take a moment to look back, then praise Him for your address change!


You’re NOT where you used to be, even if you’re not quite where you may want to be. 

Comments