Change, Give Thanks Until...



“In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”
             I Thessalonians 5:18

My grand boy, he doesn’t like to eat chicken unless it’s in the form of nuggets. He doesn’t want Chick-fil-a nuggets either because they don’t look like the “fake” kind at a fast food chain. 

The dog doesn’t like to change brands or types of it’s food either. Our dog will sniff around a little and finally decide he better eat it or else. 

A person decides to change the bedding or color palette in a room, but deciding on the new stuff seems an almost impossible task. It’s my opinion to leave the new stuff there for a few days before you make the decision that you don’t like it. Why? Because I don’t think any of us do change too well. Sometimes it takes a couple days to acclimate to newness. 

I found out today, birds don’t like change either. I finally bought a “squirrel proof” feeder, yet found they opt for the old ones instead. Maybe they’ll change their opinion and come to enjoy the new one too in a few days, but I thought it comical when I started bouncing all this around in my head. 

Most humans (and now I know animals) don’t care for change. Yet, we all have to deal with it every single day. 

Today, I was supposed to have porch time with a friend. The weather forecast showed rain. Porch time was put on hold until another day. Plan change!

There’s usually some kind of change in every day. Nothing stays the same for very long. There’s only one exception to that rule - and that’s Jesus. He’s the same yesterday, today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

As I was sitting on my porch relaxing and anticipating the birds being overjoyed with their new feeders, I suddenly saw one flying in for landing. I sat still and watched as it hovered over the new one, then made its way toward the old familiar one instead. 

I was somewhat frustrated. You see, I bought the new feeder because the tenacious squirrels kept emptying the seed from the others no matter what I tried. So, in all actuality, the new feeders were supposed to be a better for the birds. A help. A safe place. A place for rest and nurturing. 

But they didn’t care for it!

As I continued enjoying my porch time, I thought I heard a little voice in my head say something like, “You’re aware you do the same kind of thing, right?” 

I started thinking about the verse - in everything give thanks. How many times has God turned stuff upside down in my life - changing it - and I’ve been reluctant or determined not to appreciate it. Even though it was for my own good! Oh my! Can you see that pattern in your own life? 

I can just imagine God sitting on His porch in Heaven, watching us scurry around here and there, trying to avoid what’s best for us. He probably gets a little agitated, or maybe humored, like I was watching the birds today. Can you hear Him saying:

I’m on your side. 

I’m trying to give you protection. 

I’m trying to provide in this way. 

I’m over here seeing that it all works out right, my child, trust me. 

God’s will is the best place to be because He knows best. He’s the One who takes best care of us. Always! That’s so reassuring and can bring so much rest and peace if we truly believe and trust in Him with our whole hearts. 

Sometimes He has to bring change to produce growth, to wake us from our slump or it may simply be a blessing in disguise. No matter the reason, change is coming and we’d do ourselves a favor to accept it and know He’s there overseeing it all. 

No matter what change is going on in your world, hang in there. It might not be comfortable or pleasing at first, but in time we will see it was for our good. God never wastes a hurt, or a change, in our lives. His reputation is on the line and He cannot lie. 

Change. It’s happening. Welcome it with thanksgiving...until you get used to it. ðŸ˜‰


Extra: 

2 Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” 

The best change we could ever have in this life is turning our lives over to Him. If you haven’t, you should do so today. Begin a brand new life, a change that will effect your eternity for the better. A life without God is no life at all.  


Comments