Captain America: Some Gave All




We’re here at the end of May, celebrating Memorial Day...a day set aside to honor and remember military personnel who gave their all, even their lives, while serving our country. It’s commendable. It’s a sacrifice. It’s why we have our freedom. Some gave all!

I started thinking about it this weekend and I was reminded how Jesus gave His all for our freedom from sin. I thought about many Christians who have gone before us blazing a trail and standing up for our religious freedom. Some gave all. 

Then I thought about my Papaw. He was a Military Police during WW2 and part of his job was guarding the concentration camp. He rarely spoke of that part but he’d share tidbits of other parts of his story. I remember sitting in the living room listening to him tell story after story of his service time in different countries and all the things he did along the way. He gave, though it wasn’t his actual life he gave, he gave it his all in what he did for his country. 

I remember one story which was quite comical and showed his generous, soft-hearted spirit. My Dad retold it time me for this post: 

It was winter time in Germany. He rode on a coal train and was  supposed to keep the German people off of it.  Orders were to shoot them if they tried to get on the train. But he said the people were freezing to death.  So, he allowed them to jump on and throw off chunks of coal.  Then, they would gather it all up and take it home to warm their houses. He wouldn’t shoot them! He had a giving heart. 

My Dad said it was a wonder we won the war, thanks to Papaw. 

There’s another story I’d like to share though; I first heard it at his funeral. His Pastor referred to him as a real Captain America. I’ll never forget that! 

He told about my Papaw being willing to help the ministry and church in any way possible. Then he told us about one such time when their campgrounds had a water line break. Papaw was out there trying to help repair it when it started raining. He wouldn’t quit though! Someone finally got an umbrella to hold over him as he continued digging and doing the repair. Persistent. Determined. Giving. Some gave all!

The image and weight of that story was deeply etched into my memory bank and my heart for some reason. In some way, it impacted me more than I could ever fully express. Maybe it was the American flag that shrouded his casket, or the servicemen playing taps, whatever it was, I sat there thinking to myself, “I have those genes too - and I’m glad. I want to use them.”

I ran across this verse of Scripture in the Message version and I loved the way it was expressed: 

1 Corinthians 9:26-27 “ I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. [Amen!]”

This reminded me of my Captain America. And this is how I want to be remembered too. I want to run hard for the Lord, for His Kingdom. I want to give it everything I’ve got, whether that looks like giving to those in need or working under an umbrella in the rain or whatever. I want to give all!

I’m reminded of my Papaw being an usher at his church for many years. He’d stand near the door at his post, smiling that sweet smile like only he could do as he helped people come in and go out. It  reminds me of David’s declaration about desiring to be a doorkeeper in the house of God. The things he desired and sought after were not temporal. Maybe this is why he was labeled a man after God’s own heart even though he messed up. He ran hard after God. Some gave all. 


I’m also reminded of a fellow in the New Testament. A belligerent, loud-mouthed fisherman who became the “special speaker” for the Day of Pentecost. Peter left everything to follow Jesus. He was willing to give all. He even stood tall and proud during the Last Supper and said he would go with Jesus to death. He was also the one ready to fight and actually cut off the ear of one of the soldiers who came to take Jesus away. True, he had some war wounds and went back to his former ways for a moment, but he came back to his senses again and Jesus set him up for a great comeback...this is good news for us all. Sometimes we have setbacks and look as if we might become casualties of war...but God gave all, so we can get another chance. 


So, on this Memorial Day weekend, while some are having family time and cookouts at home, or are on adventurous vacations together, or home alone, let’s all be sure to do one important thing. It’s something every soldier must consider: whether to go “all in” and be willing to make countless sacrifices for the good of their country. Can we make a pact to give all? To love God with all our hearts. To sacrifice and serve Him with everything we have. To stay alert and not get sloppy in our living for Him. 

When my life here on earth is finished, should the rapture not take place before then, I want it to be said of me, “She gave all!” What about you?! God’s gifted us with so many blessings and ways to be a blessing to others - all the while glorifying Him. There’s nothing too small, when done with the right spirit and motive, that we can do to make a difference for the Kingdom. We too can be Captain America’s in our day. Let it be said of us too: 

~ SOME GAVE ALL ~

Comments

  1. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL I sure miss that smile. Growing up he and Aunt Mildred was always there. I love all the story. Uncle Robert told me a few but that is just like him to help out the prisoner. He was always helping someone. You differently have his Gene's keep being that sweet lady and encouraging others to love God. As I write this I'm looking at his 9old flag that was tucked in the corner of the garage after you guys left. I well treasure it forever Uncle Robert will always carry a piece of my heart. He was a great man. I'm glad you have wonderful memories to cherish. Love you all. Thanks for sharing BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

As always, feel free to leave a comment. It's all about us joining together to encourage one another.