Becoming...More Than Caterpillars & Thorns



She said something to the effect of being careful as we took our beautiful rose in hand, because it had prickly things - thorns. Amongst the beauty of the moment was the possibility of experiencing pain. It was a warning. 

It was a special day and I had confidently planned and committed beforehand to be a brave and courageous mom this year. I had made up my mind to be extra thoughtful, kind, happy and make a difference in the lives of those around me instead of being the one needing to be taken care of. 

Looking back, I guess you could say I desired to be the rose for a change instead of the more dreadful, thorny parts. 

While reading last week, I came across an illustration of the life of a butterfly. We love the beautiful, vibrant colors and fluttering of its wings. Yet, while we welcome the butterfly with delight, we often forget about the tiny eggs which hatch out ugly, wormy creatures.  Caterpillars. 

How many of us want a caterpillar crawling up our arms? Nope. Nor do I want a guest room decorated with caterpillars, but butterflies, now that’s a different story. Same creature...just at a different stage and season of life, yet we find we prefer one phase over another, don’t we?

It’s the same with the rose. We want the beautiful display and fragrance, but not the pain associated with the prickly parts. The truth is, roses are extra significant to me since the loss of my son. They remind me of both the beauty of a life and the pain (thorns) of loss. 

Those dreadful, thorny parts help protect and preserve the beautiful parts of the flower we love. They hurt but are necessary. We wouldn’t fully know the value and beauty of the rose without the thorns being present. 

Pain in our lives isn’t meant to make us weaker, or label us; it’s meant to strengthen us. I read a quote today and I don’t know the originator but I’d like to share: 

“The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.”

True. It’s hard to deal with hurt, disappointment, or the pain of loss.  We none really look forward to being reminded of it as I was yesterday either. Life is full of thorns and caterpillars - so many chances for us to grow, gain strength, and mature. 

The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 4, 

“...though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 

Sure. Life hurts. Tears fall. Emotions knock us for a loop at times. (Some of us more sensitive people more than others.) Those are the things which can be seen! Yesterday, I retreated to be alone as I felt myself crumbling from the weight of all I was experiencing in the moment. I was hurting and disappointed; yet I wanted to be courageous. 

While I wanted to be comforted and held, He held me close. He saw my brokenness, even behind a closed door. He caught every teardrop which fell down my cheek. He took notice again of my broken heart.  At the same time, He was renewing my resolve. He used the moment as a stepping stone instead of a stumbling block or else I wouldn’t be here writing today. When I felt like a failure, He strengthened and quieted me and kept me from quitting. He was doing stuff on the inside! The places that can’t be seen. 

You see, He can get to places nobody else can. He can comfort like nobody else can. He can give hope like no other. He is the One responsible for bringing us through. He is the One who never wastes a hurt, and is constantly preparing us for eternity. He’s the One! There’s more going on in times of struggle and distress than we can see with the naked eye. If we can just hold on to our faith!

It’s not just about thorns and caterpillars. It’s about butterflies and roses, what we shall become, what we are becoming.  1 John 3:2 says, 

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

One day, we won’t look like a caterpillar any longer, we’ll no longer feel the effects of thorns. It’s already happening on the inside, although we can’t see or feel it sometimes. It’s happening because God says it is and He’s doing the work. It’s His promise to us. 

Yesterday, I was weak and reeling with life; but today I woke up once again in my right mind, with strength in my body- renewed and somewhat refreshed - and loved. I don’t have those beautiful wings yet, nor can I smell the fragrant aroma of the rose; but I am becoming...in God’s time and way. You can too, friend. 

We’re all just in a season, a phase, but we’re becoming...there’s more than just thorns and caterpillars. 

Be encouraged today, no matter what life throws our way and no matter the emotions and tears that threaten to take us down...there’s more to the story. Have faith in God! 

Comments