The Demolition of Restoration



Restoration. We all like the sound of the word and what its end result looks like. We’ve probably all seen the results of something which has been restored. Perhaps, it’s an old plantation home which has underwent complete restoration and now stands beautiful, stately and strong. 

Yes, we all love the end results; however, there is a lot involved in the process which we might not even think about or take into consideration. How many of us enjoy HGTV’s home restoration shows? We see the ugly, worn-out houses, snippets of restoration, and the fancy end results. I wonder if we can fully appreciate the end result not being wise to the middle, because....

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

Yes, there’s a lot of hard work put into the process that gets left out of a thirty minute show. There’s a lot of strenuous labor going on during all hours of the day and night on the restoration of that plantation house we pass on the way home from work every day. The hard stuff we don’t see! 

Restoration can look a lot like demolition. 

Often, we don’t see the multiple setbacks in the process. An unexpected, rotten floor must be totally stripped out instead of simply being resurfaced. Surprise!Termite infested walls and joists that were unplanned for might have to be completely eliminated and replaced. Sometimes, there’s a lot more involved, a lot more work and even a higher price to be paid than we considered, because...

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

Nowhere do we find this truth more than when it’s going on in our own personal lives. I’m not referring to the restoration of any possessions here, I’m speaking of our hearts, minds, the internal - the deep down stuff nobody can see but us and God. 

With the beginning of 2020, I set out with God ready for a year of restoration and completion. I was “all in” and ready for the end results and the beauty and stability that comes along with it.  How many ads have we seen for a new you? We see the before and after pictures and get ahead of the process or the price that must be paid to get there. 

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

I was only a couple weeks into January when I noticed the plan wasn’t going quite like I’d anticipated. I hadn’t anticipated the setbacks! There were no quick, easy updates and snippets of simple changes. No, instead,with the new month of February came a very deep valley full of grief and depression when it felt like no one understood or cared. I spiraled. (No, I’m not pleased to admit this but I wouldn’t be happy to tell you about termites in any of my heart-walls either. Bringing you the truth from my healing heart!)

I wondered what in the world was taking place; this wasn’t the road I was expecting. In fact, it was supposed to look just the opposite! That’s when this phrase I now use so often became a normal go-to in my world. Who knew...

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

I struggled within myself, I poured out my heart to the Lord, and I sunk lower and lower. You’ve heard people say to “reach out” when you feel yourself spiraling? I’m here to tell you that sometimes you don’t even realize what’s happening to you. In fact, in the lowest places we can be so paralyzed that this seemingly easy task to get or even ask for help is impossible.  The loneliness is deafening and we can’t hear anything or anyone, or maybe we hear the wrong words which make us feel worse about ourselves, so we pull away into the darkness. Not a good course of action, but who usually thinks logical from a pit anyhow?

It’s been a long time coming and my restoration process has seen many obstacles, many Plan B’s and has cost more than I ever planned to pay, because...

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

Yes, God was restoring the whole time! He was there; I was not alone. He just had to take me down to the bare bones, back to the foundation, and begin to rebuild. Sometimes we have to deal with the ugliness of life situations which can’t be buried. Sure, God can do all things, but He always chooses to do it in ways which will be best for us. The quick, easy way doesn’t always produce a safe and sound result and God isn’t content to leave us less than the best we can be. 

At the bottom, completely barren and undone before the Lord, I lay at His feet, weak and alone. I’ve found that’s always the best place to be after all. It’s in that stripped down, vulnerable, awkward state of honesty before the Lord that He can do His best work. Sure, we like to wear masks to hide the pain we’re experiencing and we say “I’m fine” just to appease others when we’re really just hanging on by a thread. There’s good news though, we don’t have to hide from Him. He already knows!

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

So, it’s now the middle of April and it’s been a long harrowing process. After all, that’s what restoration looks like on some remakes. It’s the hard work that’s done in the darkness, it’s the agonizing process day in and day out, it’s the decision to stay the course and let God do the work that brings about the restorative process. How many times I’ve heard the Lord whisper into my spirit, “Wait.” We make such a mess of things when we try to fix it on our own. I know!! 

I’ve learned a lot, and still have much to learn, I’m sure. What I can say is that God has brought me a mighty long way. He’ll do the same for you if you’re in this type of season. 

From demolition, to restoration, to completion...what a process! No, I don’t have it all together but He has begun a good work and is faithful to finish it. I don’t think it will be completed on this side of Heaven, but the signs of restoration are beautiful sights to behold. Indeed! 

“But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle [you].”      - I Peter 5:10

What a beautiful verse concerning restoration. His grace is what sees us through. We can’t be so low that He can’t pick us up. Amazingly enough, He can take our mess and make a beautiful masterpiece. I’m reminded of Jesus’ own death on the cross - demolition, and His resurrection - restoration. We all have a story.  

We might have times of suffering during the process but we are all promised we WILL be restored if we hold on, muster up all the faith and hope we can, and trust God knows best during the demolition. The Bible says He makes all things beautiful in His time...friend, that includes you and me.  

Don’t be embarrassed by the humbling of the process; cast all your cares on Him. We are works in progress of a very detailed God. He isn’t content to give us just little “snippets” of the process, He wants to bring us through the hard seasons so we will bring Him glory and share our struggle with others to bring them hope. This is what I’m doing right now! Be encouraged, because...

Restoration can look a lot like demolition!

*But the outcome is worth the process!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! I don't believe I've ever heard it put quite like that, "restoration can look a lot like demolition," but it resonates truth to me. One of the things I hear a lot is, "it's a process." I'm seeing now that demolition has to be at the beginning of the process to emerge newer and more Christ-like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

As always, feel free to leave a comment. It's all about us joining together to encourage one another.