Palm Trees & Baggage

“Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.”  John 15:2

We had a wonderful vacation getaway to a far-away place not long ago. California. Maybe it’s not “far-away” to you, however to this girl who is geographically challenged and has never been west of Houston, Texas...I might as well have been going to Africa. (I know, somebody is laughing hysterically at my travel-isms! It’s okay, I know me and I’m a devout home-body.)  
We experienced many different things during our vacation, from visiting Alcatraz and Pier 39 in San Francisco to the mountainous terrain of a National Park with giant Sequoia trees. We had a great time and I felt like I was constantly scanning the view ahead of me so I’d not miss a single experience or landmark. 
As expected, the trees and foliage there are totally different from what we have here in Georgia. However, one type of tree in particular caught my eye and that’s what I want to share with you today. 

Palm Trees


I found it kind of neat that the Sunday School lesson I was preparing for at the time also talked about these trees. The Romans used this tree as a symbol for victory. They also represent peace and plenty in some religious circles. Interesting tree. 

I’m sure when someone says “palm tree” you, like myself, probably think of a tall, lanky tree with it’s big palm branches and maybe a coconut or two hanging around. You probably even have a beach scene in your mind right now, don’t you? 

Much to my surprise, I saw palm trees with a lot of “baggage” on them. Trees which hadn’t been pruned and they looked nothing like what we’re imagining. 


I was somewhat stunned! The beauty was consumed by the old, dried up fronds which are ugly and can cause hazards. A couple hazards I’ve learned about are that the dried out fronds can easily catch and quickly spread fire and also the weight of this excess can cause the tree to actually fall. 

After observing this sight, my mind immediately went to a spiritual parallel. The Bible is full of verses about being pruned. We MUST be pruned in order to thrive!!!


We make sin and mistakes daily, we make bad decisions, we are tempted and tested regularly. Along the way, dead things I like to refer to as “baggage” is left behind. If we don’t repent and allow God to clean us up and prune us, we’ll be dragging around a lot of excess baggage that will weight us down. 

Have you ever ran a race toting a backpack full of rocks? Isn’t that silly?! Yet, this is what we do from time to time when we continuously try control and order our lives, not allowing God to access our ugliness. The result? Imagine the possibilities. 

This isn’t Gods desire or will for us though. Only He knows how to properly prune us in order to help us flourish. He doesn’t do anything to hurt us, only to make us better and to be the best version of ourself - which will reflect Him. 

If we’re carrying stuff today that we need to lay down, right now is the time. Don’t let a bad choice or mistake keep you weighted down, God offers grace and mercy and is willing to work in us. He began and good work...and is faithful to finish it.  (Phil. 1:6) 

Let’s allow God to prune us today and make us be fruitful instead of choosing to run on with more weight than we’re expected to carry.  There is so much more for us than what we’ve yet to experience in Him. Let’s stand tall and beautiful, let’s represent victory and obtain peace and plenty by God’s design and working in us. 

Don’t you desire to thrive? It’s God’s will too. 



Comments