In Light of Eternity


“For our light affliction, which is but for a moment...”.     2 Cor 4:17

It’s nearing the end of 2019 and my thoughts have been geared toward what my “word of the year” will be in the coming year. In the past several years I’ve used theme words such as Joy, Hope, Believe and this year I decided to focus on Courage. 

I don’t know how successful I was applying and acting out each of these words, maybe the word is just a starting point, but they made me think deeper throughout the year nonetheless. 

It has seemed to me that each year the word I chose was a God-thing. In 2017, my word “Hope” was much needed to keep me focused, especially after my son suddenly passed away due to a motorcycle accident. This year, I’ve needed much “Courage” to keep me focused upon doing what is right in spite of the pain and disappointments life can bring my way. 

We never really plan for our lives to be torn or discombobulated by the many things which can surface from one day to the next, even though we know we’re not promised smooth sailing. Some days I have thought maybe I should have chosen the phrase “...and the hits keep coming!” because it can get quite overwhelming at times. Instead of quitting, and I say only by the grace of God, I’ve continued to put one foot in front of the other. I’ve strived to keep courage in plain sight though at times I felt rather hopeless. And, so I find myself still standing at the end of this year 2019, but NOT alone. Amen!!! 

The last few days to weeks have been difficult due to death anniversary dates, birthdays and just life in general. I’m not ashamed to say I’ve been dealt some hard knocks and have found myself curled up in a fetal position begging God to see me. (I know He always does, but sometimes I need to remind myself by asking Him to be present.) Today, in a quiet, thoughtful moment, a phrase was implanted within my head and on my heart and I know it’s the theme I will hang my hat upon in 2020: 
            
In Light of Eternity 

Wow! Combat alert! No matter what comes our way, we have this assurance: 
  1. Nothing comes our way in which God hasn’t gone ahead of us to prepare the way (my Pastor always reminds us of this fact. Thank you!) 
  2. No matter what we face, in the scope of eternity, it’s light and momentary - no matter what it looks or feels like at the present.
How often have we heard, “It will only hurt (or last) for a moment”? Think about it: a shot, a bandaid, getting eyebrows waxed. It doesn’t seem so when we look at it in the perspective of the big things of this world, does it? Probably since we were a child we’ve heard the phrase; yet do we realize it’s backed up by the Word of God? Even for the not-so-little issues of life? Yes. 

2 Cor. 4:8-9, “We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;”

Sure, we’re gonna face all kinds of pressures, humiliations, disappointments, frustrations, hurts, failures, rejections, lies and “one step forward two steps back” moments in this lifetime, but it’s only momentary. If only we can remember that, if only I can condition myself to keep that focus. 

In Light of Eternity

I’m not going to get it right every time; after all, I’m a work in progress. You are too! However, I’m going to strive to make this my perspective for 2020, what about you?

I know it won’t come easy. It’s gonna be some hard work. Nothing good comes easy! We’re almost home though and no matter what we’ve been through or what we will go through in the rest of our lifetimes, it’s light and momentary...

IN LIGHT of ETERNITY. 

Be encouraged today and let’s start our new year off on the right foot, with the right mindset, and with eternity in our view. Be blessed~

Comments