Sigh, God Did



I was sitting here reading the Word and I’m in Mark. I was in chapter 7 and it stood out to me, then in chapter 8 it was there again. What? Jesus sighing. He sighed!! Almighty God let out a sigh - twice. I must admit I never recall reading this before, yet I know I must have. Today it stood out to me like never before. 

He looked to Heaven and sighed when healing someone. He also sighed before confrontation to those asking for a sign. So, I figure He probably sighed in both compassion and frustration depending on the situation. Accurately for us humans, right? 

Doing God’s work carries with it heavy demands that the physical and mental parts of our lives must sometime have release from. As exciting and exhilarating as it can be, it can equally be draining mentally, emotionally and physically...as well as spiritually. And even Jesus, God manifested in flesh, sighed. Amazing revelation today!!!

So, I went chasing more info. I went researching in the concordance, Bible dictionary and an anatomical search on sigh. 

Scriptural definition of sigh: SIGH, n. A single deep respiration; a long breath; the inhaling of larger quantity of air than usual, and the sudden emission of it. This is an effort of nature to dilate the lungs and give vigor to the circulation of the blood, when the action of the heart and arteries is languid from grief, depression of spirits, weakness or want of exercise. 

Scientifically: A sigh is a deep breath, but not a voluntary deep breath. It starts out as a normal breath, but before you exhale, you take a second breath on top of it. 

And we say God is the very air we breathe, our breath. Then I suppose sighing adds just a little extra God moment to our “normal breath” - an extra strength moment where we gain more air in our lungs which adds strength to push on. 

If God sighed, it’s alright when we do, especially if we do so with our eyes turned to Him. He knows what we’re feeling and what we need. He doesn’t snub His nose at us because we grow weary and frustrated for He too knows the feeling; instead He stoops to pick us up and give us much needed rest. Might not look like what we’re expecting but He does so just the same through different avenues. 
I don’t know, this encouraged me today and I just thought maybe you’d like to hear it too. 

My take-away for sigh:  a God inspired moment giving us a dose of extra perseverance and strength to continue on 
*sigh*

Comments