A Tribute to Mamaw


Someone suggested I “blog” about it...another unexpected death has occurred in our family. My sweet “little” Mamaw. Nineteen days shy of her ninetieth birthday! She was a firecracker. Both hard-headed and hard-working. She always kept the house like none-of-your-business. Fresh coats of paint and maybe even new wallpaper were often coupled with her deep-Spring cleaning. She was mowing her yard and shoveling snow in her eighth-ninth year! She has cooked three meals a day for as long as I can remember. She could always be found in the kitchen, in the garden, or on the phone listening to hurting people

She loved to take care of people. She gave herself to serving. She loved God. She often told me that my Papaw (who has had dementia for a few years now) would tell her, “Mil, you talk to much!” To which she’d reply, “I’m not talking to you, Robert! I’m praying.” Quite a little package of dynamite she was! Makes me giggle to remember. You could always depend upon her for any prayers if you shared a request. Precious!

She was always there. She shared recipes with me, taught me tips and tricks in cooking, and how to make Grandma’s chocolate pies. Yummy! She always had a way to your heart via your tummy! Why yes, doing that made her heart happy. It was nothing surprising to get an envelope in the mail from her containing an article she found interesting, or one filled with seeds from her flower or vegetable garden. She taught me much about gardening - growing all kinds of beautiful things. She had a knack for the beautiful. There’s so much heritage there! If I close my eyes, I can easily hear her soft voice singing as she played the piano there in her living room. She was quite a lady! She was my friend.

So, as I travel “back home” to Kentucky this time, my heart aches knowing she’ll not open that door with great gusto, smiling from ear to ear, and feeling her small frame hug my “larger” one tightly. I’ll miss hearing her call me “Stephie” and trying to feed me till I feel I’d burst. She just had a way of making me feel quite special...and spoiled.

I’m thankful for all the memories I have to hold tightly to, and that her race is now finished. She sure fought a good fight and kept the faith. And, I shall miss her so. Can’t be too long now though, when we’ll all gather together over yonder. What a day that will be!

I’m sure I’m leaving out so much more, but this is all I have for now. Mamaw knew how to love you well. Never half-way. She always did her best, in her own way, how she thought best. She kept her promises and her word was as good as any contract. She was faithful, devoted and gifted by the Lord. A beautiful soul!

They often have, and still do, tease me about being “like Mamaw.” I hope I can be like her in all the most important ways. The ways that count most! I want to love and make people feel special, like they count. I want to serve and give my attention to the things others may overlook. I don’t need a lot, neither did she. I just need Jesus - and for Him to use me like He did her.

Thank you, Mamaw, for an example of a godly, life well-lived and loved.
Happy Home-going~

Comments