Bonfires & S'mores #thankfulin(F)All

I posted earlier this week about having pneumonia and the sweet nurse who brought a delightful ending to a horrible ER visit. Did I mention in that post that both myself and my husband have the same diagnosis? Double fun. Double medicine. Double...


We've been medicating and resting and...I must admit I've had to remind myself to cancel the "pity party" on more than one occasion. 

It's easy to get all dressed up only to realize there's nobody else coming and there's really nowhere to go.


Have you ever been there? Scheduled a party of your own? It's no secret that when we're sick, we're vulnerable to attacks from our cowardly enemy.

Yesterday, I had just ended a phone call with my Mamaw. Our conversation hadn't been a very encouraging one. We also received the latest doctor's report concerning my husband. It wasn't the one I wanted to hear. That happens anytime the word hospitalization is included. 

Then, I reminded myself that we had only been to CVS for prescription pick-ups more in the last month than we had all year. That the refrigerator and pantry was getting bare again. What were we going to do? What was God going to do about it? And...I found myself on a downward spiral! See how it works? I found myself sitting in a puddle of tears. Yes, I showed up for the party with bells on.

The phone rang and I reluctantly picked it up. To my surprise, the sweet voice was on the other end was my prayer partner. She was at work, but just felt led to call me. Yeah...did I mention that I am blessed, sick girl?

AT THE EXACT MOMENT I WAS HAVING A MELTDOWN! GOD IS GOOD!!!


She talked with me for a few moments and I told her what wasgoing on. I swallowed my pride and admitted that I was struggling, feeling weak in body and spirit. I opened my heart and told her I was having a hard time praying right now and ask her if she'd offer up some prayers on our behalf. The next words she said were amazing:

"You've got wood stored up for such a time."


What in the world does wood have to do with any of this? Let me explain. I mentioned that she was my prayer partner. We've spent a lot of time together praying. She reminded me that I had prayers (wood) stored up to carry me through during times like these. She also took me to the Word and reminded me of Romans 8:28, "...all things work together for the good..." and she didn't stop there. She said, "We're going to agree together right now..." and we began to pray. The floodgates in my eyes opened wide as we prayed; and one would have thought they were visiting Niagara.

What a moment. What a God moment. I realized God sent someone else an invitation to join me at my "party" after all. The blessed gift she had brought for me was sweet reminders directly from the throne.  I was immediately encouraged and felt strengthened both in body and spirit. 

I hung up the phone and thanked God for a wood pile I have stored up to use in case of such an emergency...and for providing someone to help me build the fire. I was so grateful to have someone to come along side of me to offer a bit of encouragement and reinforcement. What a faithful God I serve. He can't be outdone! 

I'm thinking...from now on, instead of invitations to a pity party, I will start sending out invites to a strength-building, encouraging, heart-warming, bonfire. 


Won't you join me? Let's make some S'mores!

I'm thankful for bonfires and S'mores




Comments