Roller Coaster Moments

Mark 4:39  "And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."

I look in the mirror and see...someone who's changing constantly with every passing day. I look closely and see a few new unruly strands of gray hair (wisdom highlights!). There are changes in my skin tone and new "character" lines starting to appear here and there - and fifty other things I don't care to mention. Yes, on the outside I look like a normal, "middle-age" adult; but on the inside some days I wake up feeling more like a tiny child in need of being saved.
Life can be a roller coaster some days, right? You know, I honestly never did really care for those as a child. I rode the Scream Machine at Six Flags out of peer pressure. The Mind Bender about got the best of me. On the inside I was scared beyond all imagination. I suppose I've never been what you'd call the adventurous type, I prefer to stay safe and live in the "known." Life doesn't always give us that choice though, does it? Life isn't quite polite enough to ask what our  preferences might be. No, sometimes it rushes in at high speeds, jerking, twisting and turning us upside down and we find ourselves holding our breath, wondering if the safety harness is going to hold this time around.
The good news...Jesus is always my anchor, and yours too. During life when we feel our world rocking and reeling to and fro, when our boat is being beaten by waves of insecurity, doubt, and fear, know and be assured of this one thing: we ARE safe and all will be well. How do I know this? Because we are always safe in HIS arms. 
The tears may fall, our knuckles may be white from holding on so tightly, and our voice may even be weakened from screaming out...but when we get our eyes focused once again on our Anchor, all will be well. We're all bound to have these set-backs from time to time. Even as adults, we sometimes lose our faith and wonder how in the world we're going to make it thru. The song, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, comes to mind and as I silently hum the tune, I remember He holds my world in His hands. I am safe regardless!
We have no reason to fear but it's perfectly fine to crawl up in His lap and tell Him if we do. He's always patient and will listen - even as the tears stream down our face. He cares and desires to cast every fear away and fill us with faith and confidence in Him. We can trust Him like no other. He will wipe away every tear from our eye...regardless of what's staring back at us in the mirror - young or old - He can calm and heal our scary moments.  

Comments