Me Too's & I'm With You's


So many questions still bombard me. Many emotions are felt each day. Tears continue to flow down my face unexpectedly. I'm still missing my firstborn son. Natural feelings and occurrences during this season of my life, I suppose. Just when I think the worst has come and gone...yet another wave comes crashing in on me again. I'm in a valley, but I'm not alone. God is with me...and...

I find myself face to face with people who can share a "me too" message and those who share "I'm with you" message. I find that they are both necessary during this season of life. They both bring such comfort, yet on completely different levels. That's the beauty of community I suppose. We each have something we can contribute because God has made us in His image and has given us varying experiences, the ability to feel, love, care and nurture...so we, in turn, can bring comfort to one another.

The "Me Too's" somewhat know how I'm feeling, they too have experienced the sadness and feelings of loss I am living out now; because they've walked down similar roads in their own lives. Yes, it's nice to hear from someone who has "been there, done that" and are willing to share their story. Although it's not ever going to be identical to mine and it doesn't take the pain away, does it give me hope because I see they made it...so I know I can too.

Still, the "I'm With You's", who might not have traveled down this road, offer something I need and appreciate in a totally different way. Sometimes I just need an ear to listen. A hug. A smile. A prayer. A word of encouragement. It's nice to receive things that those who haven't been there can contribute. They care enough to listen, love and try to understand through my pain.

Two gifts - each beautiful in their own unique ways. Each priceless to me! I have found that neither is more important than the other at this time in my life. They're both desperately needed! And appreciated. 

Some speak, some remain quite lest they say the wrong things. Some take my hand or give a pat on the back; while some squeeze me tightly in a hug. One sweet lady blessed me by washing my hair - as sorrowful, hot, tears streamed down my face. Some will call and some will text or send cards. Some say, "I'm sorry." and some have nothing to say at all. I've received plants and wind chimes, comfort foods and intangible gifts of love. Every unique act of love, kind word and service has been beautiful to me. 

If you ever doubt if your way is needed, appreciated or even necessary; rest assured it is. Never feel like you have "less" to give than others. God gives each of us unique ways of showing our love to one another. We're not cloned so it won't always looks the same, but it's always necessary that we love and give in the ways God has created us. He simply commands us to love. He touches lives through his people.

I read a quote today that stood out to me:

"In life, you can't heal yourself; it takes relationships to heal you."

How true! At the end of the day I see how I need the relationships of "Me Too's" at some moments and at other times I need the "I'm With You's." It's a beautiful combination of the love of God, executed through the body of Christ, for the purpose of supporting and healing the broken-hearted. Whatever group you find yourself in, know that you are needed and, no matter what, you are part of the hands and feet of Jesus. That's what matters most! That is what is needed.

I say a simple, but heartfelt, "Thank you, for the gifts you give!" to each of you who have touched not only my heart, but the hearts of my family during this time of loss. Your unselfish acts of love, no matter what they looked like, have touched our lives in a special way...and we're better because you are there, in your own unique way, loving according to what God has given to you. 

Blessings upon each of you~


Comments