For Those In the Vicinity


I lay in my bed, mind rambling here, there and everywhere. If my body isn't in shape, my mind should sure be fat-free as much as it exercises. (I know, a little of my "special humor" for ya!) OK, back to my think-tank time.

The story of Lazarus has been on my mind for the least several days. We know the miracle. The disappointment of Mary and Martha at Jesus not getting there quick enough. (I'm sure we can all relate to that. How many times have we deemed the God of the universe to be "late" in our opinions? If only He were on our time-frame.) We know Jesus lagged His feet for a few days and Lazarus was "stinketh-ing" (according to Martha) by the time they rolled the stone away. Jesus called out to him and the dead man came bouncing out in his burial clothes. What a miracle!

The thing that struck me, that left me in awe, was the idea that Lazarus had absolutely NOTHING to do with the situation. He was merely a pawn in the story. He was dead. 

The miracle was performed for those in the vicinity. 

The onlookers. The over-hearers. The people who heard Lazarus was sick. The neighbors and friends. Jews who were busy comforting the sisters during their time of grief. Yes, probably even the nosy, busy bodies just standing around waiting for a chance to spread the word ("gossip" - put nicely) to the Pharisees and chief priests. The miracle was performed for these people! You see, Jesus could have easily just spoken the word when He first found out about it, while He was still in another town, but He purposefully chose not to...for the good of those in the vicinity.

Need proof? 

In John 14:42, Jesus prayed saying, "...but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me." He did it so that others who were watching on would believe.

Again in John 14:45, the Bible says, "Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him."

The next chapter summed it all up, John 12:11, "Because that by reason of him (Lazarus) many of the Jews went away, and believed on Jesus." 

I believe maybe sometimes we see our "trials" in the context of something we did or didn't do, about God exposing something hidden in our lives, etc; and maybe sometimes this is true. However, maybe it's not about us at all sometimes, but about those in the vicinity.

From a personal vantage point, I watched two dear friends who were suddenly and involuntarily thrown into seasons of house-hunting. While I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they were each affected, their situations had an affect on me too. These situations forced me to take a deep look at what I believed about trusting God. Each of these friends circumstance turned out a little bit differently, and not exactly how I'd petitioned God at all, which caused me to take a deeper look at God's sovereign plans. Another friend went through a traumatic time in her life and it made me question God's timing and what is most important to me, God's will or my own. (Yes, I know without a doubt the answer to that question. Just in case you're wondering.) Recently, a transmission issue in my car while I was on a road-trip was followed up by a miracle which left my friends and family (not to mention myself) encouraged at the provision and all-powerful ability of God to supply our every need.

What I'm saying is that I believe sometimes God delays things, and works miracles on our behalf, sends us through the fire, and turns our situations and lives around - not only for us, but for the sake of those in the vicinity. That, as others peek in on our lives and watch how our circumstances develop, somehow their beliefs in God, their trust issues with the Master, are somehow altered and strengthened. It just might have nothing to do with anything we're doing or not doing. Just simply so that someone else might be encouraged or believe. 

How simple, yet complex, is that, my friend?!

Let's share our stories, testify, cheer each other on, and realize that God works in ways which are far beyond our wildest imaginations. "It makes no sense, people!", is alright. While we're going through life's "bad stuff" let's remember that God might be using it to help someone else along the way. Pastor always says God doesn't put us through something without going ahead of us and preparing the way. We're not alone, we can make it, and there's a cheering section in Heaven roaring loudly for us...even as we bounce out of the grave wrapped in burial clothes. Yet, the real miracle just might be for those in the vicinity. Be encouraged today~



Comments