Hidden. In. Him.


"...Let me hide myself in Thee.."

Those words hit me like a ton of bricks. Captured my complete attention. They enraptured my soul for a few brief moments of my busy day. How I felt in that moment in time, I cannot for the life of me completely and accurately convey to you. And, that's probably alright since it was a personal encounter anyhow. I wanted to fall to my knees and cry out to my precious Savior. Tears welled up in my eyes as I lifted my head upward to my King. Conviction gripped my heart. A determined spirit sprung up like a well in my weary soul. It felt like a refreshing spring shower gently falling in my spirit: "Let me hide myself in Thee!!!" Ahh!

In a world that is filled with endless selfies, one-upping, climbing every proverbial ladder imaginable, seeking the gold, to attain status and position...how rare it is to find someone whose goal is to remain hidden. Although I'm the type that would prefer to remain in the background than be hit by the spotlight, I sometimes feel the longing to be seen, to make a difference, and to stand out at times. Is it wrong? Not necessarily. The Lord calls us to shine at times...but, oh, to be hidden in Him!

Lord, as I go throughout my days, my prayer and most supreme desire is to be your hands and feet. To be used by You. To be bright. To shine for You! Yet, let me desire more than anything to be "hidden" in you. When others look at me, let them see you. When I speak to others, let them hear you. When I touch others, let them feel you. When I love others, let them feel Your love. Hide me in You!

My prayer since I was a young child was to somehow be used in the Lord's service. It didn't necessarily matter where. Lyrics to songs planted themselves deep within my young heart even then:

Make me a servant, humble and weak. Let me lift up those who are weak.
If you can use anything, you can use me.
I surrender all.
Let my life praise you.
I will give you all.
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.

Even one of the first songs I penned to the Lord:

Make me more like you, mold me and make me 
until my life's brand new.
I yield myself completely now, take my hands, take my feet, 
make me more like you.

There's a desire in my heart. And probably in yours too if you stop and strip away all the clutter. There's a renewed stirring in my soul today as I have found myself consumed with this single phrase from an old song sung countless times:

Let me hide myself in Thee

It caught me off guard. I wasn't prepared to be so moved, after all, I was folding laundry. It was the middle of the day. Yet, I stopped, "Please, Lord, let them see you. Hide me! You must increase and I must decrease. It's all about You, not about me." It was the sweetest, most intimate moment...but so worth sharing. I want you to have the same enlightening moment that I did.
There's a renewed calling going forth to all of us today. I don't believe for a moment that I'm the only one whose hearing it and longing to answer. Even as Easter is on the horizon, there's a call for us to allow Him the opportunity to do through us what He's been longing to do for a long time. Mighty and wonderful things...except sometimes we keep getting in the way. 

We're merely a tiny, insignificant part of the bigger picture, and an even more enormous and unfathomable plan designed exclusively by God. But we're necessary! Although He could be, He isn't a one-man-band. He wants to use us to bring about change, to reflect His light into a dark world, even to be His hands and feet. He has wonderful works for each of us to do as His coming draws nearer. We just have to stay in the correct position. Hidden. In. Him.

That's my prayer today...how about you?

Dear God, use me.
Help me to be hidden in you so others can see YOU.
Forgive ME for getting in the way at times.
(Thanks for remembering I'm human.)
I want to be your hands and feet.
I want you to love others through me.
I want to reflect You, not me.
Hide me in You!
 


Comments