Expectations!!!

And...it came and it went. Along with any high expectations I might have raised in the middle of it all. Goodness! Those things can get you into trouble, won't they? Like a popped or deflated balloon...those dashed...expectations.

Expectation. Eager anticipation. Promise. Hope.

I've heard it said, "Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed." Doesn't that sound ridiculously safe? I say that in a not-so-convincing tone, too. Really!? Come on, people. Isn't that impossible? We are wired to expect. It's normal. It's OK. True, there might be disappointments that come along with it at times, but what would life be without having expectations?

There are all kinds of verses in the Bible about expectations. This is my favorite though:

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." 
Jeremiah 33:3


Talk about exciting! Who says we shouldn't get our hopes up? Who says we shouldn't show up each and every day expecting? Some of the greatest things God does for us are those things which can catch us totally off guard. Like surprise parties! While we're expecting one thing, God shows up suddenly with something BIGGER and better. God never disappoints! We may have no clue what He's doing at times because His ways are higher than our ways. Yet, He always meets and exceeds my expectations. 

I'm finding that whether He answers the way I'm expecting Him to or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that He always answers, and it's always the best answer. Always! I don't have to worry about being disappointed because He always gives good gifts, the best gifts, to His children. 

When I find myself disappointed and disillusioned by unmet expectations in this life, I still have hope. I only have to cast my eyes upon God. I cannot be let down by Him. He never fails. He cannot lie. He is perfect. Strong. Able. 

So, if your hope is lagging today, if your expectations have left you with a handful of popped balloons, turn your eyes to Him. Invite Him to work on your behalf and when He gets started, oh boy! Get ready for the ride of your life. It might just lead to an amazing, crazy adventure which leaves your head spinning in awe. How does He do that?! Hallelujah!!!


Now that we have our expectations soaring again - and in the right direction...doesn't it feel much better than settling for a hopeless, dead situation? One thing is for certain, when He's throwing the party, you might as well EXPECT to be thrilled and end up with a dynamite of a testimony. He has an expected end for each of us~

An oldie but goodie to share with you today:

O the answer's on the way, this I know
Jesus said it, I believe it and it's so
Our Heavenly Father knows our needs before we pray
And we can rest assured
The answer's on the way
 

Comments