It Stinks!...Waiting



"But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."   
James 1:4

So, how do you respond whenever you're tired of the waiting game and want things to happen NOW?!

Sometimes I feel like pitching a fit like an impatient toddler in the grocery check-out. Loud and obnoxious. At other times, I may feel like cowering down in a corner - like a sulking ten-year-old. Quiet but intentional. Anyone out there to testify of these types of moments in their life?

Think about the story of Lazarus. Mary and Martha acted in their own unique ways. I can see Mary doing the quiet sulking; while in my mind, I can see Martha possibly being the tantrum throwing toddler in the grocery aisle. Of course, I could be completely off, but for the sake of this post, let me put this spin on it. After all, in John 11:20, the Bible says, "Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house."

He makes it His business of knowing our every need. Yet, He doesn't work on our time schedule.


Don't we all have those moments when we ask the Lord, "Why'd you wait so long to show up? Lazarus wouldn't have died if you'd have come quicker." We all have Lazarus situations at certain times in our lives if we stop and think about it. 

How many times do we grow weary in the waiting? Yet still, there are times when waiting is necessary for a God-perfect outcome. A healthy baby is most often carried for nine months. What if a mother decided, "OK, that's it! I'm done waiting. I'm done already!" Or consider the caterpillar waiting to turn into a butterfly, or the making of a diamond or perhaps a pearl. Sometimes beautiful things take time. This includes our situations too.

Right now, in my life, I'm growing weary of waiting for the insurance company to repair the ceiling in my bedroom. We've been camping out in the living room for almost two months now while they've been tearing out and ridding my home of mold issues. I'm done with it already! What was an adventure at first has turned into a stormy-rainy, soggy-marshmallow kind of day during summer camp. What are you tired of waiting on in your own life? We all have tired-of-the-wait issues.

John 11:35 says, "Jesus wept." 

How comforting in our weary moments, to know that Jesus is in touch with what we're feeling!



Let's go back to our Bible story, when they arrive at the tomb of Lazarus, Martha informs the Lord that the body of Lazarus stinketh. How many times have we informed God that our situation stinks?! I have to laugh at myself sometimes for getting impatient with the One who knows all. I can even imagine Him looking over the balcony of Heaven and shaking His head at me at times. If I could only see the situation and outcome like He can. 

If you're in a situation that stinks, hold on. Keep living right, praying for God's will and be prepared to cast all your "waiting" anxiety upon Him time and time again. Our situation is always worked to bring Him glory. In John 11:40, Jesus tells Martha, haven't I told you "if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?" 

We too can see the glory of God in our situations if we will but believe and wait well. It doesn't have to be some big thing in life. The little things are just as life-altering. In the end, however, if we will believe Him, the outcome of our situations could bring Him glory. 

What if the situation you find yourself in today might speak volumes to those around you? What if because you and I wait well instead of doing the toddler thing, that others who are watching turned to us asking what kept us going? What if, at the end of our trials, we are able to stand and testify of the goodness of the Lord and how He worked in our hopeless situations? Wouldn't it be worth it after all?

Let's wait well, my friend, knowing that good things come to those who wait...no matter how hard it might seem to do at times. Sure, it might stink right now...but if we wait a little longer our dead situation will be brought to life again.

Comments