No Appointment Required!

Some days I have a hard time slowing down only to near the end of the day a complete, frazzled, weary mess. I'm picturing one of those rag dolls with yarn hair at this moment. You know, the hair is all fuzzy and sticking out everywhere? Yes, I work myself hard trying to accomplish in a day what should probably take a couple of days or even a week. Why? Because that's the way I'm wired...or at least that's what I claim anyhow. Are there some more of you over-achievers out there with a to-do list a mile long? Or am I in this one alone?

The verse the Lord laid on my heart this morning spoke straight to this "problem" of mine. Isn't He good like that? 

Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me, all  ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Are we tired? Bone tired? Ready to crash? JUST DO IT!!! In the arms of Jesus.

To "come unto" Him, we must exercise our faith and believe that He is there in the first place. To know that He is there, leads me to trust that He holds me in the palm of His hand. To trust that I am there, is to know without a doubt that He cares for and wants what's best for me. He will give me rest! It's a gift. We don't have to get every item on our to-do list checked off in order to "deserve" rest either. That's a trick of the enemy...to keep us busy.

To be weary and burdened down comes with the daily grind of life, but we don't have to be stuck there. We're intended to land in the arms of our loving Savior often, allowing Him to fortify, strengthen and encourage us for the next leg of the journey. The choice is ours though. 

When we're ill, the doctor often tells us to "go home and rest." How convenient...and smart. He knows if we shut ourselves down and rest we will most likely start feeling better. He wasn't the first doctor to submit that recovery tactic though. And, we don't have to pay for that office visit either.

When we retire for the night, we lay down, shut our eyes and remain quiet. That's what the Lord longs for us to do with Him. Shut out life for a few moments. Be quiet. Be still. Focus on Him. Talk about a B-12 shot! What a refreshing boost we receive when we shut ourselves in with Him for a bit. Isn't that simple? He has a way of giving us NO EXCUSE as to why we don't take advantage of the benefits He loads us down with daily.

I encourage you to join me. I'm going to work on this part of me. If you're tired, weary, worried...take a moment. Have a Come to Jesus meeting of your own. We will always be given exactly what we need in those precious times with Him. He's not slack concerning His promises. He said "come...and I will give you rest." We can take that to the bank. Let's take Him up on this invitation. He's waiting with open arms...no appointment required!

Comments