We're All Tomatoes

Doing my part to save these little babies! 

To keep the birds from robbing my husky Cherry tomato plant, I started picking these little gems before they are totally ripened to perfection. I harvest them, then set them in the windowsill to bask in the warmth of the sun. Then, when they suit my liking, I'll pop one into my mouth for a delicious burst of goodness and sweet satisfaction. Homegrown bliss! Oh yeah!

As I was doing the dishes this morning, I glanced at the little round balls of yummi-ness. Each one a little different shade of tomato red. Each one has a slightly different variation in their circular shape. I suppose what I was seeing was that they were all tomatoes, but all at a different stage of maturity. Some were ready to delight my taste buds right at that moment while some of them weren't quite "there" yet.

I thought about our spiritual walk and how we're all longing to be "there." I mean, honestly, how many of us are really satisfied with where we are in our Christian walk? Sure, we're striving to walk uprightly every day, but we are all sinners, saved only by the grace of God.  I think the proper answer from us should be, "We're not satisfied!" Personally, I never want to become satisfied and think I've "arrived." Isn't there always room for growth? Just sayin~

The truth is, we're all at different stages in our spiritual walk. That's not a bad thing either! We all look a little different. We're all uniquely created. We all mature at different speeds. We each have different talents, personalities, abilities, quirks and characteristics...but we're all tomatoes. Oops! I mean we're all God's children. 

He has the sovereign ability to see where we've been, where we are presently, and where we're headed. He doesn't wait for us to look like others around us or for us to get "there". In fact, He loved us while we were still dirty and undone, mired by the ugliness of the sinful nature we were born into. He doesn't wait, like myself, until the perfect moment to take pleasure in us. No, unlike my cheery, tomato crew, He takes delight in each of us at the exact stage we find ourselves in today. HERE.

So when, not if, we feel like we're not quite measuring up, let us find hope and assurance in knowing that as long as we're exposed to the "sun" (I love playing with words), we'll become better and better with each passing day. Yes, we want to get "there". One day we'll be perfected, safe and sound in our new home in glory; but for now, let's be encouraged to keep maturing and basking in the presence of our Almighty God. 

Join me in the warmth of God's windowsill. Yes, we're not "there" but we're all tomatoes. :)

"For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation."
Ps. 149:4



Comments