Blessed Assurance - Even Thru the Rain

 "The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, 
he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17
 
On those cloud-filled, dreary days...when the rain is either pouring or there's a threat of a downpour at any moment (either outside my window, or inside my heart)...Jesus is mine.

When I'm ready for the sun to shine again...when I'm tired of the gray, ugly days and long for a moment of bright sunshiny goodness...Jesus is mine.

I'm reminded of the sweet song of a curly, red-headed, little girl - "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow..." Isn't that we all desire on occasion? For the rain to go away and the sun to shine again? When we're having one of those types of days, don't we all long for tomorrow?

While I was humming that simple tune today, my heart was suddenly filled with peace at this simple assurance. Though there will be times when the clouds may hang low, and I know the song itself has absolutely nothing to do with our spiritual lives, yet I have a promise of a better day...a tomorrow. How do I know this without a doubt, you may ask? I have this blessed assurance because...Jesus is mine!

(back to Annie's song) "...just thinking about tomorrow clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow til there's none ..." - now, again, I know there's nothing really spiritual about those words; but isn't that a bit like throwing up the umbrella of faith on a bad day?

"...when I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick up my chin and grin..." - yes, no matter what my day brings, because I have Jesus, I can stick up my chin and grin. That's peace. That's joy. That's hope. Blessed assurance.

"...you gotta hang on til tomorrow come what may..." - that's persistence. We're all tempted, on occasion, to give up on those not-so-pretty days. If we can just hang on til tomorrow though...there's that sweet assurance that God is in charge and things will get better.

So, from a child's song, comes some godly principles which can greatly help us big kids. Who knew?! If we can just hang in there on our dreary today, if we can poke our chin up and smile through the gray, if we can be patient and weather the storm come what may...the sun will come out again.  This is my (and your) blessed assurance...because Jesus is mine...and I am His.

If you're day is dreary or rainy, if you're longing for a bit of sunshine, I encourage you to lift your voice while you're waiting. Stick up your chin and sing with me! Let's be like those tiny, song birds sweetly singing in the rain or maybe just clumsy, little children dancing and singing thru the puddles. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine...even thru the rain.



Dedicated to a dear someone who has spent much time teaching me 
to look through the rain and see the sunshine on the other side
of the storm - because God is always there. 
Thank you for showing me how its done!
Love you, songbird~

 

Comments