Lessons in the Frozen Food Aisle

"...greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4

As I made my way through the frozen section of the grocery store, I heard a child speaking. I thought nothing of it, because I was child-free that day. I continued browsing, minding my own business; however, the little voice continued to get louder and louder. Now, mind you, I'm an introvert and have no problem minding my own business, especially when I'm out in public. 

So, I decided to ignore the voice - until I got a bit closer to where the voice originated from.  He-eey-yy!" she exclaimed. I turned in the direction of the louder-than-necessary voice and finally realized this little girl sitting in the cart was trying to get MY attention. Oh my goodness!  For the last minute or so, this precious little one had been trying to get my attention and I had been oblivious to the fact, no I had ignored her - wrapped up safely in my own little world.

I immediately made a connection with this dear little one as she offered me a sweet smile. Next, she asked my name. She had my complete attention now, so I replied. She smiled and seemed perfectly contented to have my undivided attention. Then, her mother pushed the cart on down the aisle and that was that. 

As I continued shopping, I heard yet another voice cautiously exclaiming, "You're not 'posed to talk to strangers!" I smiled. I knew it was the big-brother who had glared at me while I spoke to his sister a few moments earlier. He didn't say it just once, he said it over and over. I chuckled to myself and continued shopping. As I neared the front of the store to check out, I had to walk right past these children. Something within me decided that they'd have a blast in our Sunday school; so, I fished a church card out of my wallet and walked right up to their cart.

The little girl's eyes sparkled with joy as I introduced myself to her mother. It didn't take but a moment for the little boy to break out a smile and begin talking to me either - a stranger. I looked down into his chubby face after I finished talking to his mother and replied, "Now, we can talk to each other. We're not strangers anymore." He grinned from ear to ear as we giggled and chatted for a few more moments. There were no walls standing between us now, no obstacles standing in the way. I said goodbye and walked on toward the check-out, having satisfactorily completed the task at hand. 

Isn't that exactly what the enemy of our soul tries to do? He tries to intimidate us and tell us all the reasons we can't do something. We CAN'T talk to strangers. We CAN'T __________. I know, it might not be as simple as this example, but you get the point, don't you? What does he tell you? What does he hint around to you that you can't do because of this or that? What does he imply that you won't be "good enough" at because you have a this certain personality type? Though he cautions you, it's not intended for your good. It's actually a lie and it's always meant to hinder you from doing what God has called you to do. Think about it.

Next time you hear that voice falsely "cautioning" you, walk right up to the situation anyhow. Put on some holy boldness and do your thing. Let's tear down those barriers, walls and any obstacle which are constructed to block our paths to God's will. We can do all things through Christ because greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world. It will get easier each time we press through our doubts and fears. We are intended to do so much more than we do. We are over-comers! From now on, remember this:  Let's boldly face any "challenge", pass the aisle of any hesitant circumstance, check-out of any hellish hindrance in the frozen section and chalk each one down as a victory in Jesus. Can I get an "Amen!"?

Comments