Learning "God Stuff"

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." - 2 Timothy 2:15

We were starting to burn the midnight oil...my daughter and I...which was just perfectly fine with me. I considered it a special blessing to have my eighteen-year-old want to talk with me about "God stuff". (I suddenly DIDN'T have the "parent plague"!) I was excited even though I was a bit tired. As we talked, the Lord began to open my eyes and I realized that the stuff we were talking about, the things I was explaining to her just so happened to be the same topic on which I'd been studying, reading and allowing God to speak into my own life about this week. I went from being tired to being excited! Isn't He awesome like that!?

Honestly, I'll be the first to admit, I don't have it all together. I still fall, makes mistakes, become disappointed, etc. "What? You don't have that problem?" (Asked with a sweet smile on my face.) I know I can't be the only one. Why, just today I'm reminded that even us adults sometimes have one of those tea parties we'd rather not talk about..you know the special, private ones - the "pity parties." We're none exempt from the struggles normal, growing, maturing Christians face. The difference is we have a loving, forgiving, patient God on our side while we're doing it!  Psst...here's a little secret....He'll even join our tea party if we'll invite Him. He longs for us to pour our hearts out to Him so He can help us grow. Our party can have a transformation with Him as Guest of Honor.

Anyhow, let me get back on track. (Train derail under control. It was a good side note though.) I was so excited about how the Lord worked it all out like He did. Did I mention? Amazing! As we chatted, the Lord brought things back to my memory which I had read earlier in the week - things I had studied. I was able to reply to my daughter's questions with confidence. (No accolades for me. All the praise goes to God.) I felt assured He was right there leading and directing me in what I was saying. I did my part, now He was doing His. It does take time to unplug from everything that's going on in our busy days, and it seems impossible some days; but, it's so worth it. Especially when we can see it so vividly unfold like I did last night. I was so thankful that I had set aside time to study and learn - that the Bible was coming to life right there in my living room. I felt privileged to share what I had learned with my sweet daughter and thankful to the Lord for making it all possible.

So, from the girl who still has the desire to learn more, who knows she's far from the goal of obtaining all God has for her, who often needs to be taught and instructed, and who definitely needs to study more...if I can do it, so can you. Just set aside a few minutes. It doesn't have to be hours. A few minutes each day will go a long way. We might not be able to provide all the right answers every time, but God will smile on us with His approval and help us if we make an effort to do our part. The new school year is quickly approaching...as children go back to school, let us adults dive headfirst  into learning more of "God stuff." Who's waiting on you to share what you've learned along the way? Happy studying~



Comments