Filter Responsibly

So, we all have those moments when we are fiercely trying to grab and retract the words that just came out of our mouths. (Am I the only person that gets a clogged filter now and then?) We just say something nonchalantly and have that remorseful feeling in our gut afterward. The one that says, "Oh, I wish I wouldn't have said that now." Goodness, there have been days like that..help my filter, Lord.
Some things are just better left unsaid. That's usually easy if you're like me and don't have much to say anyhow, but even then, sometimes the filter isn't quick enough to catch the words before they leave the lips. (What about the words we never utter but say in our mind? They count too!) Opinions. Points of view. Subtle, but said. I find myself often times bowing my head and asking God for much needed forgiveness and grace...you know, the stuff I haven't readily extended to those who are standing on the other side of my carelessly-flung words. Lord, help me! 
We're all guilty of it from time to time. I know. I am guilty - even today - and afterward God gave me one of those "talking to's". (Didn't take many words from Him before I quickly bowed my head.) He doesn't point a finger in our face or look down His nose at us in disgrace. Just the opposite, He always handles us with love (if we'll receive it that way), but He never fails to get His point across. He'll gently prod us toward repentance if we'll be sensitive enough to hear Him when He speaks.
Here's a challenge for you, and for me. Let's ask God to guard our words. That He will help us to use our words wisely. Let's make an effort to build up, encourage, etc. If we flub up, let's quickly confess it, repent and move on. Let's memorize Psalms 141:3:
"Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; 
keep the door of my lips."
True, in America we have the freedom to speak...but we have a greater freedom to guard what we say. The privilege to protect one another. To build up, not tear down. The responsibility to speak favor and blessing. Our words carry more weight than we realize. Let's petition God's help...after all, He can do anything and we're going to need His almighty help in this endeavor. We hear it similarly put all the time in reference to other ares of life, but today, let's choose to start a worthy campaign called, FILTER RESPONSIBLY. Blessings~

Comments