A Tribute to Mothers

We are who we are in part because God in His omniscience knew exactly WHO we needed to be our mother. Imagine that! Remember, He formed us in her womb! Psalm 139:13-16 (msg)  
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day.
He knew how she would love, nurture and rear us. He knew what she was capable and incapable of, as well as what her weaknesses and strengths were....because He formed her too. What? You don't think your set of circumstances were quite the ideal? Not perfect? That too, was part of His plan. He never misses a single detail. He prepares us for our future in so many different ways!
You see, His ways and thoughts hardly compare to ours. (We have all kinds of ideals I'm sure He snickers at. Yes, I'm sure He has a sense of humor!) He knew the kind of mother we each needed...after all, our upbringing has brought us to this point in life - "the days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day." We've learned about love, nurturing, living and all sorts of similar topics - from our mothers. No, they weren't perfect and probably didn't make the right choices 100% of the time, but are we so unlike them? I've been around long enough and seen enough to realize that every mother/daughter (or mother/son) relationship isn't always the "picture perfect" ones we may read about in Mother's Day cards lining the aisle at our neighborhood Walmart. (Yes, that's why a person will stand in the aisle and read 15 different cards before choosing one.)
But thankfully God always has a plan...in His infinite wisdom He knew mother's would need help and so allowed other ladies to impact our lives too. That's part of the beauty found in His Word and being part of the body of Christ.  Titus 2:3-5 talks about the older women being a good example "...that they may teach the young women..." God never leaves out anything, does He? He's a Master planner!
We are all created with different talents, personalities, characteristics, strengths and weaknesses...we definitely aren't cloned...we're originals. Even identical twins have some differences that distinguish them; if not in appearance, in personality, etc. God allows our mother's influence to be entwined with the influence of other mother figures along the way. School teachers, Sunday school teachers, aunts, grand-mothers, pastor's wives, elder ladies in our neighborhood or church, etc. All these influences combine to form the perfect mixture in our lives. Amazing! Isn't it a relief to know that we've got help along the way? (As a young mother, I've always wondered why God didn't issue directions with each childbirth. How was I supposed to know how to be a mother?) I can't imagine not having those types of special ladies teaming up with me to help influence my children to be godly. (I am certainly a mom who isn't afraid to admit she doesn't have all the answers! Lord help me!)
Sadly, Mother's Day isn't as joyful for some as others. There are many reasons which contribute. And while our memories or circumstances might not be perfect in our opinion, we are not lacking...because God doesn't make mistakes, people do. No matter what a relationship may or may not be with a biological mother or what it might be with a child or children, or maybe there are those who aren't privileged to be a mother at all...this Mother's Day we can thank God for placing us in the perfect womb - according to His will. Regardless of how we might feel about it, He did so that we might become exactly who He anticipated we would way back during the time we were being formed. In my own life, I remember watching my mother consistently working around the church. And today, I can see how her example has been a blessing to me as I do what God has called me to do for the Kingdom. It's a beautiful thing. God's plan! 
Let us be thankful for our precious mother's and all they invested in and taught us. It is through them, with God's approval, that we were brought into this world. Who are we to question the divine plan of the Master? Let us thank Him for knowing us - even while we were in her womb. We are each blessed because we have been mothered. We are who we are today because we have been mothered. Thank you, moms and for those who have been "stand-in's", for always giving it your best shot. We give thanks to and honor you this Mother's Day weekend.

Comments