What's In a Nick-Name?

My childhood purse
"Stephie"...only 2 people in the world call me that. Otherwise, it's usually "Steph". What's in a nick-name? (I think William Shakespeare mentioned "What's in a name?" if I remember my senior Lit class correctly.) When I heard "Stephie" on rare occasion last week, I was amazed at how it made me feel - kind of like enjoying a warm, soothing cup of my favorite tea with a couple delicious poppy seed mini-muffins with someone special. Comforting. Special. Loved. Made me think about God and his vast list of "nicknames". 

As I looked heavenward last evening at the beautifully, colored sunset I couldn't help but whisper a thank you to "Elohim" (My Creator) and give thanks for such a marvelous wonders He created for us to enjoy. This morning I thought of "Jehovah-Rapha" (My Healer) as I gave thanks for the healing a dear friend. And I can't help but to call Him "Moshia'" (My Savior) this weekend as I thank Him for dying on the cross and being my Savior. I could go on and on, but I'm sure by now you're thinking of your own list. I imagine God smiling with delight when we use these special names. (Remember, not everyone uses our personal nicknames.

He is able to meet EVERY request, and supply EVERY need...He has it all covered...He is the great "I AM"! Let's not be one of the  people who use those precious nicknames of our God...but OFTEN. He's eagerly waiting to hear from us no matter where we are in life. We can't go wrong when we pray! To use one of his specific "nicknames" in the area which we need a prayer answered is just an added privilege of being His. Let's take advantage of ALL He is. Look up some of those nicknames for yourself. Yes, you can type it straight into Google! After all, how close can our relationship be to someone without learning their name? 

What's your favorite nickname? How does it make you feel? Please share it with us or leave a comment below. Suddenly an old song, More Than Wonderful by Sandi Patty and Larnnel Harris, popped into my mind - 
"more than amazing, more than marvelous, more than miraculous, could ever be....He's more than wonderful...that's who Jesus is to me." (Find it on YouTube)
Now, I think I'll go enjoy that cup of tea as I think more upon the goodness of the Lord and how each nickname reveals yet another magnificent character trait of our God and exactly who He is. Who is He to you today? Blessings on you, my friend, as we bless the Lord together today.


Comments