Rain, Rain, Go Away

If you've been in the area near my little town in the recent weeks, you know we've been bombarded by rain, storms, rain, dark clouds, rain, wind and, oh, did I say RAIN? Quite honestly, I got to the point where I was questioning God, "When will the sun shine again? I'm so tired of the gloomy days!" I suppose I'm probably not the only one either. (By the way, today the sun is shining brightly and it's a beautifully glorious day! Thank you Jesus!)
Since I've had numerous days to contemplate about the dark, dreary days, I was thinking about how we go through seasons in our lives. Some are bright, cheerful and happy and we're loving and living life to the fullest; then one day we hear the distant thunder roll and see the lightning flash and we find ourselves in dark, uncertain days and we wonder when they will ever diminish. I don't know about you but after about 2 days of rain, I'm done with it! I'm afraid I feel the same way about the rainy seasons of life even though I know God has a purpose in each season. 
So, what's a girl to do? Well, as bad as I'd like to push a button and it be gone (don't we all wish we had a couple of those kinds of buttons at one time or another?) I've learned that it usually doesn't happen quite that way. We have to endure....wait for it, wait for it. Today a dear friend put a verse on Facebook that went right along with my thought:
Psalm 91:1, "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."
So, the answer to this season is...to tuck ourselves safely into that secret place and hide under the shadow of the Lord. He is our safe-house. He is our shelter in time of stormy seasons. He will hold us up. He will carry our burdens if we will cast them on Him. He will give us rest, strength and endurance to hold on until the sun shines in our lives once more. We can only get to that secret place if we continuously dwell there even on the sun-shiny days. It's a lifestyle of dwelling and abiding in our precious Savior.
My friend, when the storms are tossing you to and fro, when the torrential rains are battering you and you feel as if you'll fall to pieces, just hang on. This too shall pass. How hard is it to remember this when we're in the middle of our crises...that God controls the storms too. Curl up in the arms of Jesus and rest safely knowing He is in control. He may calm the storms of your life, or He might allow you to sleep peacefully right beside Him until the storm subsides. Regardless, know this...the sun WILL shine again. Take heart, be of good courage today. We have this hope!

Comments