Constant Reminders



Driving along this highway we call life, there are many things to perceive.  In the lane next to us might be another vehicle speeding hurriedly past us or perhaps another moving along at the speed of a turtle.  There are always those vehicles laden down with heavy or wide loads, those on the side of the road with emergencies and those behind us with their bright lights on.  Think about it, from a birds-eye view, the highway might look like a colony of ants scurrying from their recently demolished home.  Things can get pretty chaotic at times! 
No matter what the traffic is like or what lane we’re in, one thing remains constant…the view in front of us.  I was reminded of this on a recent ride home at dusk.  All the hustle and bustle of vehicles racing past us on the interstate coupled with the clanging commotion going on inside my head, there was still that one thing which silently but powerfully proclaimed strength and peace could still be found.  God’s creation!
How lovely was the sunset displayed for us to take in as we topped the hill!  Beautiful hues of blues and pinks seemed to melt into the sky as the warm, golden sun with its rays sank slowly over the horizon.  A tiny sliver of the moon waited patiently, high above, for its turn to take the spotlight in the heavens.  What a peaceful, calming view the Lord had painted on His canvas for me this evening.  As I focused on this magnificent view, the clamor of everything around and within me seemed to fade away to nothingness.  All was calm, all was right!
“I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.  My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2
The same sovereign God who said, “Let there be” - and there was - reminded me once again that He was still in control.  He holds the power to make things beautiful no matter what it looks like on the surface.  The truth is, there remains One who looks out for me and is there to help in my time of need.  All I need to do is…lift up my eyes!  It is a trick of the enemy who tells us to hang our head in shame when we are going through a fiery trial.  At these times in our lives, the Lord wants us to behold His face and ability.
When I lifted my eyes and saw the beauty of the sunset, the journey didn’t end there.  My heart began to thank the Lord who kindly used His creation to remind me once again of His nearness and power.  My friend, there can be calming peace in our lives if we can take our focus off of our surroundings and look beyond.  God has placed reminders all over our universe for us; He wants us to know He can create beauty out of nothingness.  We can find help from our Savior who anxiously awaits to show Himself strong on our behalf.

Lord, help me to realize that you are all I need.  You are a constant help in time of need.  No matter what life throws my way, I can look to you for help.  You remind me through your creation that you hold all power in your hands…that includes power over every obstacle I face today.

Comments