Limping Into Your Blessing


I awoke early this morning, thinking about a message a sweet mother left on one of my recent posts. 

I'm finding it absolutely amazing right now, how God shows up in so many different avenues in my life. I realize He's always been there like that; sometimes though, certain chapters written within the pages of our lives have a way of clearing every bit of clutter and dust from our eyes. Ironically, it is often in these dark and painful times, when our world seems to fall apart, that we see so many things we normally take for granted so clearly. Like for me right now, God is loving on me and showing up in different ways - especially through community.

This dear lady who left this comment has also felt the cold, ugly fingers of death snatch away one of her  children. She received the phone call no mother ever wants to receive. She's been where I now find myself. She gets it. The questions, the broken heart, the pain and longing to go back in time...the darkness, the physical pain as well as all the other ways one can experience it. 

She is walking ahead of me on this road and although I do not know her personally, she can relate and kindly shared this tidbit that I want to share with you - because just maybe there's another hurting person out there that needs to hear this message too. 

"Our lives change forever when we have a child. And when we lose a child, you will walk again, but always with a limp."

How true I can see this statement to be. Today, I limp...it takes every bit of strength I can muster up, but I'm still walking. "How?", you might ask. The only answer I have for you: I've got a God who is faithful to carry me. When all my strength is gone, when tears blur my view, in the night when I need to be held tightly, He's there. I recall during my son's viewing and homegoing services that there were times when I just physically couldn't make my legs work. It felt so odd, unnatural. I felt so weak. 

Today, my legs don't seem to want to carry the weight of this load either. My heart seems to weigh a ton today. I'm limping, but that's alright. I know God is right there to carry me- even if my legs completely give out and I cannot even limp. He's faithful to carry my broken pieces for me a bit further, to hold me up as I limp along. After all, who would I be teasing if I told them, "I've got this!"?  I DON'T...but I know He does. 

This morning, my thoughts turned to Jacob wrestling with the angel.

He struggled, left with a limp...and a blessing. God never wastes a hurt. 

We all know God is in the business of working ALL things together for the good. We've heard it since childhood. He never changes either. He's the same yesterday, today and forever. Can I get an "Amen!" 

My friend, it doesn't stop the pain, but it somehow encourages me to keep on limping, and to let Him carry me when I cannot. Just keep on keeping on - and watching how God will make beautiful things in the days ahead. Blessings in spite of the pain. And, I cannot wait to share those glimpses with you - so you can see too. He's a great God!

If you too are limping, hurting, or find yourself with a broken heart - for any reason - be encouraged...He'll carry you too. Keep limping into your blessing


Comments