Little Pot Syndrome


So, my dear hubby decided to surprise me with roses a couple months ago. Isn't he a sweetie? However, instead of buying me cut roses, which would fade away in a week or so, he brought me a miniature rose bush - so "they wouldn't die." I'm sure you know the type, a cute little rose bush, snuggled safely in a small throw-away container. It's meant to be planted.

Well, all this time (I'm in a brown-thumb season!) and I've still not found a place to plant it. It's sitting on the banister of my front porch...struggling to survive this hot, Georgia heat. You see, this little bush wasn't intended to stay confined to a pot. It has so much more potential than what I'm allowing it. *Sigh*

I was thinking about myself, and you. Sometimes we wonder why we're not reaching our purpose and potential. Why we're miserable in life. We have greatness inside us, God has great plans for us too, but we're struggling to survive. Why is that?

While I'm sure there are many reasons, don't you think one reason might be because sometimes we're afraid of change? We're used to this "little pot" we're in, the way we've been doing things, yet we continue, struggling to thrive in what we consider the safe confines of our comfort zone. We're not intended to be in a pot.


We each have been created according to a plan, carefully and skillfully drafted by God - before we were ever conceived:


"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

We'll never be completely satisfied and fully thriving until we are doing that work (purpose) He instilled within us to do from the very beginning. 

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10

It's not always going to be easy, we come into this world as babes, but we grow, fall, we change, and we move on. We don't stay confined to a pot. It's crippling! 

It's the same way in our spiritual walk. God has things only we can do. It requires us getting out of our comfort zone and taking what may seem and feel like a huge risk on our part. The truth is, as I'm finding out is the case many times, is what we feel isn't really that at all. God wants to nudge us out of our pot and into action fulfilling His purpose. 

"What's the answer?" you might say. I'd look at you, with my own set of yet-unconquered fears and say, "Give up the pot." 

Give up our safety. Our comfort. Our desires. Be willing to step out, to move from where we are - even when we're a little bit (or a whole lot) afraid of what might happen next and even if it feels a little (or a whole lot) yucky or messy at the moment. Even my tiny rose bush will have to acclimate to it's new spot. We will too! 

Scary? Maybe so. Worth it? Certainly!!! Every time. God has never had a plan that failed. He is a Master Designer and knows every ounce of potential you have inside you (and me) because He put it there. You didn't arrive on the scene with certain gifts and talents just because. He put them there for us to fulfill His purpose in our lives and without moving in that direction, we'll continually struggle to live life abundantly and flourish. Let's not be content to stay in the pot when we can be so much more. 

If you find yourself struggling, be sure you're not stifled by your own will and being contained to a container that's too small for the purpose which God intended for you. Join me in breaking free from the "safety" of our little pots. There's more to life than our own little spheres. God intends for us to spread our roots and connect so we can be fruitful and effective for His glory and honor. 

Now, I've got a rose bush to get out of a pot. Who will join me?


Comments