That Changes Everything

"I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: 
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being." 
Psalms 104:33

Somehow I had learned the words all wrong. Oh, my! How had that happened?

I'd been on a Gaither Homecoming music binge. I love the new stuff, but the old stuff is what I've grown up on. Actually, I didn't really understand the exact meaning behind a lot of the songs when I was younger. However, songs like Just A Little Talk With Jesus and I Need Thee are the songs which have gotten me through the hard times in life as an adult. Those prayer songs!

Maybe it was because I was just singing it with my voice and not with my heart. Perhaps that's where I got off track as a youngster. Then came the day when my heart awoke to the words of this familiar favorite of mine, Leave It There:

Leave it there, leave it there,
Just take your burden to the Lord oh and leave it there.
If you trust him through your doubt, He will surely bring you out.
Take your burden to the Lord, leave it there.

It was just a typical day in my life. There had been burdens I was carrying. The load was a bit heavy. To be honest, I had even let a small amount of doubt filter into my heart somewhere along the way. I was weary. You know, we all get there on occasion, don't we? 

I was simply singing along that day when I realized I had been singing it all wrong. You see, I had learned to sing it "if you trust him and never doubt, He will surely bring you out." That always bothered me. I doubted more often than I cared to confess. How could God ever bring me out? I was already a sunken ship in that case! 
No, that's not what the lyrics had been after all, but rather "if you trust him through your doubt..." Wow! I know it's just a simple song and not the actual Word of God, but what a relief that realization brought to my heart. What a relief indeed! And right on time, too. I suddenly got a tad bit excited. That changes EVERYTHING.

My friend, I'm afraid we all might get the lyrics wrong sometimes. The enemy of our souls attempts to swap the words around on us; he tries to make us feel "less-than" or a hopeless case. Why? That's his trick for shutting off our singing spout all together. No song. No life. Be encouraged today though! It only takes a moment for God to make it all right. Even if you're singing in the wrong key! Now is the perfect time to keep singing anyhow. 


Don't be afraid of singing it wrong...just sing! That's the anecdote for any occasion which might bring about a bit of doubt or heaviness into our days. And...if you're singing it all wrong, it presents the perfect opportunity for God to whisper right into the middle of your situation....straight into your heart like He did mine. And...that changes everything. Sing it loud~

Comments